Finding email configurations settings (Thunderbird email setup)

NethServer Version: 7.6.1810 (final)
Module: nethserver-mail-server

Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone,

I’m attempting to configure a Nethserver email server in my local network.

Is there a way to get the confirmation of following information via the server manager (or other means):

My best guess in italics…

IMAP server:
hostname;
port; 143
SSL mode (STARTTLS or SSL/TLS): STARTTLS
Authentication (Normal password, Encrypted password, Kerberos GSSAPI, NTLM)
Username

SMTP server:
hostname;
port; 587
SSL mode (STARTTLS or SSL/TLS): STARTTLS
Authentication (Normal password, Encrypted password, Kerberos GSSAPI, NTLM)
Username

At present I get a “Thunderbird failed to find the settings for your email account” message.

I am presently attempting to work out whether the problem lies with:
1. Thunderbird
2. Incorrect router port-forwarding/filtering
3. A mis-configuration in my NethServer setup (hence question above).

I do remember being prompted to enter a non-standard port at some point in the setup - I now can’t remember where this applies though.

Many thanks,

I have my mailserver running with lets encrypt certs
my config in T-bird:
IMAP: port 993 SSL Normal password
SMTP: port 465 SSL Normal password

and this works just fine. I remember T-Bird autoconfigured also with IMAP on port 143 STARTTLS, but I changed that manually to SSL port 993

Although I use Normal password, Samba4 AD useraccounts are used with just the username (not with the @domain.tld part added)

2 Likes

Plus one for @robb setup that works pretty fine also for Outlook 2013 (I hate autosetup of 2016 and 2019).
It’s mandatory to look for the correct hostname which receives the let’sencrypt certs: if certs are released for myserver.mydomain.tld the client should look for and correctly resolve, lan or wan, myserver.mydomain.tld

1 Like

Many thanks @robb and @pike. I got it working in the end by giving the internal network IP as the hostname instead of mydomainname, and by allowing port 25 forwarding to the server in the internet facing router (still a little unsure about doing that).

@LeeT If you add the mailserver name to your internal DNS you don’t need to use the internal IP address. In fact, it would be better since you can also use the name when outside your network.

@robb, I’ll try that thanks - still grappling with external vs internal DNS setup

Actually it is quite easy: external: rely on other DNS services, ineternal: you are in control. Don’t forget to use your internal DNS server as resolver if you use it.