File Server NS8

Hello guys
is it possible to have the file server on the NS8 similar to the one on the NS7?
sharing folders
Permission with ACL
Event logs on the File Server

We will work on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

excellent.

We used these features ourselves and it always worked great.

If you allow me an observation

On NS7 I tried to change the data volume blocks and had problems.
If the File Sever on the N8 has support for reflink and larger blocks on the file system it would be nice.

example:
mkfs -b 4k + -s 4k
or 32k

I believe that manually installing OS we can adjust these parameters without causing damage to NS8

Thanks.

a difficulty we encountered
one file serves over 3 million files/folders.
When doing a search. a workstation search does not bring up all files.

Hi
Are there any news, is a test version available where we can help to test it?
Thanks!

Hi Kurt, welcome to NethServer community :wave:

The work for Samba file server (“Shared folders”) is not planned yet. We’re focusing on the collaboration features for the first public release. Probably the DC will be present with limited features, just to provide accounts to other services in the cluster and support ns7 migration.

As a side note, since version 4.17 Samba can run with limited capabilities: this is a great improvement and opens new scenarios for the future implementation.

I just tried to convert the current module to a rootless module: at least it works as account provider.

We could also integrate some container image from the community. It seems many people wants to run it in Kubernetes.

Brief update about File Server module features implemented so far in NS8

• It is a DC too, so read and bear in mind the Samba Team recommendations
  • No Guest access is possible
  • Only one DC with shares GPOs and LAN services, other DCs are just for replication and redundancy of other nodes: they offer LDAP to cluster apps only. I think this choice can be reconsidered when Samba releases native sysvol replication.
  • Shares and homes migration from NS7 with nethserver-ns8-migration tool
  • Windows ACLs compatible (acl_xattr module)
  • Create/delete shares from UI. Trivial ACLs setup from NS8 UI (one of 1. everyone read+write 2. everyone read, group read+write 3. group read+write)
  • Advanced ACLs management from Windows clients

See also

5 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Shared folders with external LDAP