Errors with events/actions/remount-filesystems

OK, I will admit up front that some of the naming in my system set up is probably strange to long-time Linux/UNIX admins, but it all is allowable according to the rules.

Recently when removing a package I no longer use it threw a couple of errors with the remount-filesystems script failing. Looking at the script, I can see why.

The script scans /etc/fstab and issues a mount for the filesystems using the first parameter in each parsed line. However, there are a number of constructs that are perfectly legal to use in /etc/fstab that do not work when issued by the mount command. In my case, here are 2 examples:

/poolmount/Data?        /MyPool fuse.mergerfs   atomic_o_trunc,auto_cache,big_writes,default_permissions,allow_other    0 0
/MyPool/F1\040Grand\040Prix     /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/F1_Grand_Prix  none    defaults,bind   0 0

Perhaps the script can be changed to use the second parameter of each /etc/fstab line instead, as I think that will always be acceptable to a mount command. Unless anyone knows differently. :grinning:

Cheers.

Oh, god! Never seen such strange path inside fstab! :smiley:

I think you’re right, @filippo_carletti do you agree?

Ok for me.

Well, I did say it was a weird set-up. :scream:

Now I think more, that will only work for the first of my “oddities”, the wild card mounting 6 drives in a mergerfs pool.

The second example, the space in the directory name, which requires the “/040” construct to work, could occur in either, or both, the mounted directory and the mount point.

Cheers.

Do you how we can protect such characters within the mount command?
Can you try with single quotes?
Something like:

mount -o remount '/My weird\04stuff'

@giacomo
Sorry, that doesn’t work. Here’s what happens without the quotes:

[root@NethServer ~]# mount -o remount /MyPool/F1\040Grand\040Prix
mount: can't find /MyPool/F1040Grand040Prix in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

And with quotes:

[root@NethServer ~]# mount -o remount '/MyPool/F1\040Grand\040Prix'
mount: can't find /MyPool/F1\040Grand\040Prix in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

Cheers.

And another thing to consider. You can’t re-mount “fuse” type file systems:

Mar  8 18:17:49 NethServer esmith::event[3435]: fuse: mountpoint is not empty
Mar  8 18:17:49 NethServer esmith::event[3435]: fuse: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option
Mar  8 18:17:49 NethServer esmith::event[3435]: Action: /etc/e-smith/events/fstab-update/S20remount-filesystems FAILED: 1 [3.489736]

Cheers.