Enhancement - Disk space dashboard widget

Along the lines of the current ‘Root Partition’ widget, but would display all mounted partitions?

It would be cool to see all mounted partitions in this space. I have a USB backup drive attached, and foolishly set backups to never be removed (to see how long it would take), then set my setting back to 7 days. Just thinking it would be nice to be able to see that visually in the dashboard instead of having to SSH in and run a df command to monitor my backup drive. I had a diskspace contrib installed in SME server for this, text, but I’m sure the current widget can be extended to include additional partitions in its existing beauty!

Thanks for considering.

2 Likes

Hi, that’s a good idea. Maybe omit the /boot and tmpfs but show all other partitions like USB, iSCSI and others.
(One problem that might arise is the admin-panel becoming too complex or too unclear for a good summary. This might happen when too many windows in the Dashboard are showing too much information.)
I do believe multiple partitions should show in the Dashboard window though.

Do you know about the new disk analyzer in NethServer 6.6?
http://docs.nethserver.org/en/v6.6/base_system.html#disk-analyzer
This tool displays all mounted directories beside proc, sysfs and /mnt/backup.

Otherwise we can think about a multi-tab view for the “Root partition” widget.

All mounted partitions are scanned and shown by default, except the backup-data destination.

Okay. So, what’s the reason behind not showing the backup destination? It would certainly be helpful to know how much my backups are filling the destination volume.

I think the backup destination should be on a different machine: disk space monitoring should be performed there on.

Ah, right of course. I agree with that.
I now have an iSCSI LUN (which is indeed another machine) mounted on Nethserver and the only way to view the disk space usage would be on Nethserver itself.
Also, Nethserver gives the option to backup to USB, which of course would be on the same machine. It would be great if USB and iSCSI have the option to view usage.

I agree… Anyway I’d prefer viewing the backup storage usage on a distinct panel. Usage could be collected during the backup procedure that unmounts the device at the end. So it is not an always available space. Thus should be treated separately.

what do you all think?

1 Like

RIght, I forgot it unmounts in the meantime… Then a diskspace status on the Backup-widget would be enough I guess. Something like: “Remaining diskspace on backup volume: 55TB” :wink:

I agree. We should add an action inside the post-backup-data event, save the disk usage somewhere and display it inside the backup tab.

1 Like

i found this tool: ncdu :smiley:

duc is similar in purpose, but it’s really fast to index the hard disk.