Email Address not found: Postfix looking for ip6V address on sendmail

NethServer Version: 7.4.1708 (beta1)
Module: email / postfix

After upgrading to Nethserver 7.4.1708, I get an error when sending email to another Nethserver …

Example: Error Message of return mail –

emailuser@domain Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
name=xxx.1xx.xx.xxx.domain type=AAAA: Host not found

why is it looking for a IP6V Address for the other Mail Server… ?

when doing nslookup … it shows that the domain is set with an IP4V on the receiving email server…not IP6V

My Email Server is using ip4V, no ip6V , yet the nethserver postfix seems want to send email using ip6V…
Is there a setting that I missed that I can default my Nethserver POSTFIX to send EMAILS via IP4V address ?

Hi @rmk,

you may test changing “inet_protocols = ipv4” in main.cf, restart postfix and see if it solves your problem…

Thnx for the quick response…I did that =on the my Sending Email Server…
I realize now it’s receiving Email Server having some kind of DNS resolution issue…
Now I get another error:

user@domain… Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
name=xxx.xx2.xx0.122.Domain.net type=A: Host not found

But I can do nslookup on the receiving email server… tested OK… found the IP and resolved…
Puzzled…

You may try nslookup on your servers and check if they can reach each other by ping with the IPs you got by nslookup. Maybe it’s a private/public ip problem(split dns).

Maybe you did manual changes in /etc/resolv.conf that were overwritten after a reboot?

Some sources to your error I found:

http://kb.odin.com/de/126874

1 Like

Thanks you all… you are correct … the data file in Name Server somehow got corrupted,causing such error
… it is fixed now…

1 Like

You’re welcome.

If the problem is fixed for you please mark the topic as solved.

1 Like