Ejabberd improvements + ejabberd 20.03

In last ejabberd 20.01 upgrade, you have forgotten all my changes…

I have already requested you some.

Can you add a function for 5223 port?
It is not needed by default.
But you can enable by default for old machine.
Admin must to quickly disable in interface.

Can you add a function for MUC?

Can you add a function for BOSH?

Can you add a function for WebSockets?

Can you add a function for API?

Can you add a function to choice the port of BOSH?

Can you add a function to choice the port of HTTP UPLOAD?

Can you add a function for CAPTCHA?

Can you add a function to enable vhosts? (like for email)

Can you add a function to choice the ejabberd webamin lang (“en” by default)?

Note it has been changed no?

Please could you try to upgrade to the new release and bring back what is broken/workable ?

2 Likes

not a big change :-?

it looks like a bug fix release, we need to update the nethserver-ejabberd because we require for a specific version

Please could you test and report back after

yum install nethserver-ejabberd --enablerepo=nethserver-testing

Have you added options in Cockpit?

I have forgotten MQTT options too (disabled by default)

We are not going to add more options on ejabberd, especially mqtt since nobody uses it.
If you need such configuration, please use a template-custom.

I do not see any really relevant change on ejabberd 20.30.
@stephdl if you think it worth the effort, please open the issue and link the existing PR to it.

IMHO we can stay with ejabberd 20 for a while if there are no severe security issues.

1 Like

thank for the up, who wants to test ejabberd 20.03 ?

But other points than MQTT?
-> I have requested you to add in Cockpit, the option to enable or disable, easy no?

Please se above response:

forgive my folly.

i am really having a hard time understanding the use cases for ejabberd.
also, i installe dit to see how it looks and functions, but i cannot access its user interface because/
i do not know the default username and password.
can someone enlighten me please.

Ejabberd it’s an XMPP chat system with bulit-in federation. Many software uses XMPP to exchange data.

You need to install a client, like Gajim.

You can use system user names and passwords.

See also the doc: Chat — NethServer 7 Final

ding dong ding dong last minutes before we close the PR to upgrade Ejabberd to 20.03

If no testers, there is no interests

I am interested, but also vy busy… Maybe in the evening.
How can I check my installed version?

1 Like

@stephdl is there not supposed to be a chat window on webtop after installation?

1 Like

You need to configure:

http://docs.nethserver.org/en/v7/webtop5.html#chat-integration

2 Likes

thank mates…

What I would like to demonstrate is there is no regressions, so in short, firs we install the stable, then we upgrade and check you can create a salon, talk with mates, do upload of files etc etc

1 Like

Thanks for new ejabberd! I really appreciate it as I like to test some XMPP web clients.

I updated my VPS and got following error in /var/log/messages:

Apr 4 02:01:23 nethserver sh: /bin/sh: /opt/ejabberd-20.01/bin/ejabberdctl: No such file or directory

I saw /usr/lib/systemd/system/ejabberd.service points to the old ejabberd 20.01, we have 20.03.

ExecStart=/bin/sh -c "/opt/ejabberd-20.01/bin/ejabberdctl start && /opt/ejabberd-20.01/bin/ejabberdctl started"
ExecStop=/bin/sh -c "/opt/ejabberd-20.01/bin/ejabberdctl stop && /opt/ejabberd-20.01/bin/ejabberdctl stopped"
ExecReload=/bin/sh -c "/opt/ejabberd-20.01/bin/ejabberdctl reload_config"

After changing version and another systemctl daemon-reload ejabberd was working properly.

• Create room works
  • Chat and upload/download works

Found some warnings in /var/log/ejabberd:

2020-04-04 02:41:08.147 [warning] <0.106.0>@ejabberd_config_transformer:warn_removed_option:539 Option 'log_rotate_date' is deprecated and has no effect anymore. Please remove it from the configuration.
2020-04-04 02:41:08.147 [warning] <0.106.0>@ejabberd_config_transformer:warn_removed_option:539 Option 'log_rate_limit' is deprecated and has no effect anymore. Please remove it from the configuration.
2020-04-04 02:41:08.315 [warning] <0.106.0>@gen_mod:warn_soft_dep_fail:582 Module mod_mam is recommended for module mod_muc but is not found in the config

I tested with Xabber on Android and Pidgin on Windows. More tests will follow (encryption etc)

4 Likes

Example of configuration, please look all, there are a lot of changes between NethServer ejabberd configuration, example you use 5223 by default and it is not here:

loglevel: info:
-> https://github.com/processone/ejabberd/commit/e4a8afb15d6c995b294a60ed150b86775e2f6805

OMEMO part, 5223 part, BOSH part, …

Several options need to be in Nethgui/Cockpit…

Warning: Pidgin is the best bad XMPP client, please do not use it.

Computer: Psi/Psi+ is the best with Gajim.

my bad but a big thank you, I do the changes and open a real issue to track this update

1 Like

need to check, new obsolete settings, did I never say that I do not like this software :slight_smile:

2020-04-04 11:34:21.255 [warning] <0.106.0>@ejabberd_config_transformer:warn_removed_option:539 Option 'log_rotate_date' is deprecated and has no effect anymore. Please remove it from the configuration.
2020-04-04 11:34:21.255 [warning] <0.106.0>@ejabberd_config_transformer:warn_removed_option:539 Option 'log_rate_limit' is deprecated and has no effect anymore. Please remove it from the configuration.

1 Like