Duplicity backup to USB

backup

(Stephane Schoubben) #1

Hi,
I’ve having following problem with Duplicity back-up
I an a daily incremental backup to USB drive.
It works fine when the USB drive is attached to the server.
When removed from server Duplicity makes the backup to follwing path /dev/mnt/backup-backup-data instead of the USB-drive.
Yhe log file only shows following message :

Feb 16 14:16:07 test-server systemd: Job dev-disk-by\x2duuid-906e0df9\x2dab4e\x2d4809\x2dac16\x2d546f0a9e41a1.device/start timed out. Feb 16 14:16:07 test-server systemd: Timed out waiting for device dev-disk-by\x2duuid-906e0df9\x2dab4e\x2d4809\x2dac16\x2d546f0a9e41a1.device.
Feb 16 14:16:07 test-server systemd: Dependency failed for /mnt/backup-drive.
Feb 16 14:16:07 test-server systemd: Job mnt-backup\x2ddrive.mount/start failed with result ‘dependency’.
Feb 16 14:16:07 test-server systemd: Job dev-disk-by\x2duuid-906e0df9\x2dab4e\x2d4809\x2dac16\x2d546f0a9e41a1.device/start failed with result ‘timeout’.
This messages shows up multiple times

Nethserver version: 7.6.1810 with latest softwareupdates applied

I’ve already tried following steps trying to resolve the error without succes

• removed path /mnt/backup-backup-data
  • reformatted the USB drive with ext3 filesysem

[solved] Data-Backup to USB-disk needs the same space at local file-system for "security-copy"
(Federico Ballarini) #2

I don’t understand what is the problem. If the USB drive it’s not attached to the server duplicity backup-data should goes in error. When you attache the USB drive duplicity should be return working properly.

(Stephane Schoubben) #3

The problem is that the backup doesn’t falls in error but continues making the backup to harddisk.

(Federico Ballarini) #4

Hi @Stephane_Schoubben
I will do some tests in the evening and I will update you. It sounds a little bit strange.
Do you run the backup from Server-Manger or from CLI?

Regards.

(Stephane Schoubben) #5

from server-manager, stated as automatic incremental backup-up every day at 12:00, full backup on monday

(Federico Ballarini) #6

Try execute from CLI command
backup-data -b backup-data
and post result.

(Federico Ballarini) #7

Hi @Stephane_Schoubben
Backup system try to have backup because you have unplugged the USB drive without unmounting it. It’s not a problem: backup finish correctly and it’s needed a sync if some files are changed. At next successful backup-data drive will be synced.

Server folder synced at next backup on USB is /mnt/backup-backup-data and it’s for this that backup continues to copy data into /mnt/backup-data also if drive it’s not attached but mounted.

Same behavior from CLI or Server-Manager and it’s all normal in my opinion.
Backup USB disk has not to be unplugged: I can’t understand this necessity.

I hope I have answered your questions. In this case you can close this Bug topic.

Regards.

(Michael Kicks) #8

Unmount of USB drive is supposed to do via ssh before detach?

(Federico Ballarini) #9

Normally if u have to detach usb drive you have to unmount drive with umount command.

(Eddie Atherton) #10

With removable drives, the mount point directory is still present even if the drive is not mounted and so the backup program continues to write to it.

I don’t think duplicity, or for that matter any other backup program, has the smarts to validate a removable drive is present or not. It just writes to the directory it’s told to.

Perhaps wrap the backup in a script that verifies that a subdirectory, which only exists on the removable drive and so can only be seen when the drive is mounted, is actually there before running the backup.

Cheers.

(Stephane Schoubben) #11

Unplugging USB backup drive is a security manner - keep a copy in a safe place on other location.

(Federico Ballarini) #12

Yes. But you have to plug another disk and not remain without backup…

(Federico Ballarini) #13

I think dev_team has solved this “problem”.