Does Archiving Locally reduce Message Quota used in WebTop?

Hello @support_team or @webtop_team or @mrmarkuz ,

Question regarding what local archiving actually does.

Will archiving locally a users emails by year reduce the size of email quota used in Webtop for that User? And secondly does archiving save space in some way? Does archiving compress the emails to save space? What I’m asking is what is the benefits of archiving locally? In my opinion, cleaning up old email we don’t need is the best way to save space on our Nethserver. One of my users wants to Archive because he thinks this will help his limit quota which he keeps getting very close too.

Thank you.

My belief is archiving locally doesn’t help save space as it’s still important to remove duplicate or old/unneeded emails to save space on a mail server. Archiving outside Nethserver could be beneficial since it saves space on Nethserver…but again it might waste space on the remote archive server if a cleanup of mail is not done.

I’m trying to teach our office manager the importance of spending time on his mail to keep it useful (keep the mail he needs) and to keep it lean (remove emails that are not needed). Especially large emails that can be safely deleted. He thinks archiving is a solution but I don’t think it is.

I’m curious what the community thinks about archiving mail compared to keeping mail clean.

Thank you in advance for any advie you can provide.

Hi @greavette

Archiving Mail is often a legal requirement , at least in Europe.
This usually means a parallel mail server, keeping record of all mails and attachments in and outgoing, for all accounts.

As this is a legal requirement, cleaning and removing mail here is NOT an option!

A simple solution is using eg IMAPsync to a parallel NethServer without any clients, just for mail.
Or in NS7 the option to create a mail-archive user, and that gets a copy of all mails…

Several roads, if not all lead to Rome, YMMV!

For the productive mail system, keep it lean and mean!
Faster backups, more productive co-workers… :slight_smile:

But there are different reasons and processes for both!

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes