DNS Servers Are Not Responding

NethServer Version: 7.7
Module: DNS

I have completed my first install of nethserver. I setup an active directory domain controller (10.0.0.10), the nethserver is setup at 10.0.0.200. I have a pfsense gateway that is at 10.0.0.1. For my nethserver dns servers I have setup 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.10. I have tried both 10.0.0.10 and 10.0.0.200 for the addresses and either one comes up with an error "One or more DNS servers are not responding. I have an ubuntu desktop machine that I setup at 10.0.0.100 and when I try to do an nslookup it fails as well for internal addresses, external it is fine. I have a registered domain .mydomain.page and setup the internal domain with home.mydomain.page that cannot be accessed publicly. I entered a dns host for pfsense, pfsense.home.mydomain.page. When i use the terminal in nethserver and do an nslookup of server.home.mydomain.page it returns the server’s IP address from 127.0.0.1 (localhost), same with pfsense. Is there something that I am missing that needs to be enabled in order for the dns server to work? This is a home lab that I am working on with a proxmox virtual environment hosting the VMs. Thanks.

Hi,

welcome to Nethserver Community,

Is 10.0.0.10 the IP of Nethservers DC or is it a separate (probably Windows Server) DC?
If it’s a local Nethserver DC don’t set its IP as DNS server to use in Nethserver, use pfsense or external DNS servers.

Do you mean the first lines? It’s about the used DNS server. Nethserver and pfsense use the locally installed one.

[root@testserver ~]# nslookup example.com
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   example.com
Address: 93.184.216.34
Name:   example.com
Address: 2606:2800:220:1:248:1893:25c8:1946

Another thread about Nethserver and pfsense in same network, maybe it helps:

1 Like

10.0.0.10 is the Nethserver DC it is the only DC that I have. I am trying to learn linux and was able to get a descent server to use at a home lab.

Yes the example that you are showing is what I see when I do a lookup on the Nethserver. I will work on creating a separate DNS server using openDNS.

One other thing that I am confused on is why does the DC have a different IP than the Nethserver itself?

Thank you again for the help. I appreciate your time.

1 Like

The DC is virtualized and runs in a linux container.

When installing Samba Active Directory as local account provider, the system needs an additional IP address and a working internet connection .
The additional IP is assigned to a Linux Container that runs the Active Directory Domain Controller roles and must be accessible from the LAN (green network).

Docs:

https://docs.nethserver.org/en/v7/accounts.html#samba-active-directory-local-provider-installation

1 Like

Got it thanks!

Did you see the wiki? There are some user guides too.

https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=user_guides