DNS doesn't seem to be working right

NethServer Version: NethServer release 7.5.1804 (final)
Module: dns(?)

I have 2 different internal networks connected to the same ISP. The Nethserver controls 192.168.16.0/24 and my other network is controlled by a Linksys LRT224 and controls the 192.168.18.0/24. Both controllers have Opendns as their outside dns addresses and the PC’s point to the controller for primary dns and are dhcp addressed by reservation. I don’t do any overrides in the dhcp config that is pushed to the PC’s.

Whenever I do a nslookup on a PC attached to the .16 network it says that the ip for what I’m looking for is the Nethserver and the PC attached to the .18 network gives the actual IP address (see photos).

What or where do I need to look/adjust on the Neth server to get the dns resolution to be correct. I (sometimes) eventually do get to where I want to go on the internet, but it takes about 5 times as long for the web pages to come up.

If I understand it correctly your situation is like this:

- Linksys - 192.168.16.0/24
internet - ISP Modem/Router - |
                               - Nethserver - 192.168.18.0/24

Can you confirm you have set the IP address of the ISP modem/router as Default gateway in the RED interface of NethServer?

BTW, the answer from nethserver doesn’t look wrong to me because yahoo does have a LOT IPaddress that point to the yahoo.com domain.

Look at the resolved name: yahoo.com.soscc.co

And if you reverse lookup 184.167.142.53: soscc.co

Cheers.

Yes, the default gateway is on the red interface and your drawing is correct except the .16 is on the Neth and the .18 is on the Linksys…

Why would the name resolution come back as yahoo.com.soscc.co? The soscc.co is my domain. Why on the non-neth network do I see all of the IP addresses associated with yahoo and on the neth network I see my IP address?

Where this is really a problem is when I try to use a vpn. If I use the FQDN of the server I want to vpn to I never get there. If I replace the FQDN with the IP address of the vpn destination I get connected. Which for the short time works, but the other end is on a dynamic IP from their ISP so the customer is using Dyndns so their site can always be found. The vpn also works using the FQDN from the PC on the .18 network.

It looks like NethServer is trying to resolve local domain for yahoo.com
When I do an NSLOOKUP on my NS based domain, the result looks like how your Linksys is resolving yahoo.com
So you must have some misconfiguration on your NS networking and/or DNS settings…
Can you provide some more detailed configuration of both Network and DNS of your NEthServer install?

Here are some screen shots. The 2nd red interface is a failover. The dns issue was there before i added the 2nd red. when the server is on failover it still doesn’t resolve any better. everything comes back to the nethserver.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

neth%20hosts

neth%20network%20dns

Are the server and the controller able to resolve domains?

nslookup yahoo.com  # or use diagnostics panel in server-manager
systemd-run -M nsdc -t /bin/bash
nslookup yahoo.com
exit

i did it from the diagnostic screen:
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: yahoo.com
Address: 98.137.246.8
Address: 98.137.246.7
Address: 72.30.35.9
Address: 72.30.35.10
Address: 98.138.219.231
Address: 98.138.219.232

i made a change to the dhcp and overrode the dns settings with 192.168.16.1,208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220
and yahoo.com still resolves to the neth server. i tried the resolution on 2 different win7 and a win10 pc with the same result. when i hooked up my linux box to the .16 network and let it dhcp, i see all of the addresses for yahoo. i removed the overrides for dns in dhcp and the linux box still shows me all of the addresses. it seems to have to do with windoze name resolution and THIS particular server since the .18 linksys resolves and displays everything correctly.

Seems like miss-configuration of dns suffix. try to run
ipconfig /all
and look for dns suffix. it should be empty.
the 184.167.142.53 doesn’t belong to yahoo network.
https://bash.ws/nslookup/184.167.142.53