DistroWatch say Nethserver is dormant

Not the first time I see a CentOS based Distro, being declared dead/dormant on distrowatch, but you might want to communicate with them

1 Like

I think it’s marked as dormant because there is no new release.

@alefattorini could you please take care of it?

1 Like

According to this…

What is the difference between the Dormant and Discontinued status?

A distribution which has not put out a new release in two or more years is marked as being Dormant in our database. The distribution may still be worked on, but has not published any new stable releases. When a dormant distribution publishes a new stable release it is then marked as being Active. A project may also be marked as dormant if it no longer plans to put out future releases, ie planned inactivity, while older releases are maintained.

The Discontinued status is reserved for projects which are no longer being developed. There is no outward activity and no roadmap for new releases. Projects which no longer have websites will also be marked as discontinued.

We often receive e-mails from projects which have been Dormant and plan future releases (or from fans of dormant projects) asking us to update the distro’s status to Active. This will be done automatically when a new stable release is published.

Won’t change anything. IMVHO, Distrowatch should at least provide some sort of “under support” status.
Might not be valuable for them but… it’s still a difference between some distros and others.

5 Likes

Yes, we just need to release a new version and send them the update.
I can take care of it

Someone here said that was not “that interesting” to respin…

Yes; as I remark, that situation happened to a lot of RPM based distro after CentOS passed to the dark side of the Open Source :wink:

I wonder what ClearOS did, because they were also under the dormant status for a while, and now they are back in business, even if their website and forum don’t talk about any new version.

Maybe I totally misread it. The “new version” referred here may be… just the less unstable 8.0.

It’d be irreparable loss if NS has been deprecated…