Detect unknown device with Zabbix

Hi dear community
is it possible with Zabbix to do theses tasks?

List all devices connected on my LAN
Detect unknow Devices connected on my LAN
Detect all windows Pcs that are not updated
Detect all Pcs that doesn’t have Antivirus
Block unkowned Pcs on my LAN

Regards

Yes, I think so because Zabbix has network discovery to get the devices and inventory to get installed software packages.

Not directly, but it should be possible with action scripts in combination with firewall or squid proxy.

https://www.zabbix.com/forum/zabbix-help/22023-how-to-disconnect-or-block-a-computer

1 Like

For wired devices this will be easier than for wireless devices. And as said in the topic on the Zabbix forums, it depends on the equipment (switch/es) you use. I have been administering port security on a large network in the past, but that is quite tedious.
For wireless connections I can recommend Ubiquity accesspoints. With the Unify controller software access of wireless devices is very easy to manage. Including multiple access profiles with different access times. For instance that a group can only access the wireless network from 7am to 5pm…
It will be a challenge to get that inside Zabbix tho. However, there are some templates of Ubiquity devices for Zabbix: https://share.zabbix.com/network_devices/ubiquiti

1 Like

Thank dear team
Thanks i will try Ubiquity

Hi Dear Team
since your last responses, i was working to understand by myself Zabbix installation en Configuration. I am still faicing some issue to discover automaticaly all devices on my LAN. I just want to know if i need to install zabbix agent so that it can work?

It depends on the discovery type.

The agent is helpful with low level discovery and network discovery and it’s mandatory for agent auto registration.

Maybe @Andy_Wismer can help here with some best practice hints.

@jnwatchock

Hi

Sorry, am at a busy average working day… :slight_smile:

This is what I use for Host detection on Zabbix, but it is far from complete:
Test for PING and Test for Zabbix Agent. A Test for SNMP Agents doesn’t help much, because those Windows with Firewall active just won’t yet have SNMP installed or active.

For one, Windows 10 Workstations and also Windows Servers with Firewall active will not respond to pings, and no agent yet installed, these don’t show up on any list.

For starting, I will use 2-3 Scan tools, and consolidate the list into Zabbix Hosts (Configuration).

Hope this helps…
Andy

2 Likes