Desktop GUI Installation

I was trying to install desktop GUI in Nethserver 6.6 (with latest update) so that I can fire up an internet browser connecting to Nethserver and perform configuration job just in case NIC was faulty or being miss configured and no computer client can connect to Nethserver.

1st attempt
At first I was trying to install Xfce from Nethserver’s software center. Installation process was smooth and completed successfully. I try to open it from CLI by issuing command “startxfce4”. Then I get an error saying GLX is missing. So I removed Xfce in Nethserver’s software center.

2nd attempt
Then I found a method in community forum posted by Filippo_carletti. The method is to install the centos “minimal desktop” manually by issuing following command:-

yum groupinstall basic-desktop desktop-platform x11 fonts

But I get the following error:-
Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror, nethserver_events, presto
Setting up Group Process
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile

• epel: ftp.riken.jp
  • nethserver-base: mirror.nethesis.it
  • nethserver-updates: mirror.nethesis.it
    Warning: Group basic-desktop does not have any packages.
    Warning: Group desktop-platform does not have any packages.
    Warning: Group x11 does not have any packages.
    Warning: Group fonts does not have any packages.
    No packages in any requested group available to install or update

3rd attempt
Thinking of installing Xfce again and resolve the GLX issue may help but this time I get the following error when install Xfce from Nethserver’s software center.

Summary
How can I get Xfce or “minimal desktop” to work ? Thanks :smile:

Yum groups for CentOS repository are disabled by default.
You can change the enablegroups option inside the repo file or use it via command line:

yum groupinstall --setopt=centos-base.enablegroups=1 --setopt=centos-updates.enablegroups=1 install basic-desktop desktop-platform x11 fonts
4 Likes

Thanks :smile:, it works. But I need to add in “–setopt=centos-extras.enablegroups=1” to avoid “no more mirrors to try” error.

1 Like

Thanks