Deeper investigation into using WebTop for our mail

Hello forum and especially the @webtop_team
I’m currently using for our small office a Zarafa email server on ClearOS. It’s done us very well and it’s not that I’m dissatisfied with Zarafa. But I see that nethserver has a lot of benefits for us so integrating mail into nethserver is a must for our use case.

I have a few questions for the #webtop team to assist me in my move out of Zarafa:

1. We are a small office of 10 users with email. Since it’s a small number my thought to move mail from Zarafa to WebTop would be to use Thunderbird and connect to both mail servers. Then simply copy each mailbox and folders from Zarafa to WebTop. Do you agree that this would work or do you have suggestions on how best to move our mail?
  2. I’ve been looking for more information on features so I can compare Zarafa to WebTop. I found this site - http://sonicle-webtop.sourceforge.net/groupware.html but the documentation section has no link. Is this the correct site to get information on WebTop?
  3. Does WebTop have the ability to import in contact lists? We use a shared contact addressbook currently and I’ll be working export my contacts out of Zarafa. Does WebTop allow me to import from .csv a list of addresses?
  4. We use extensively shared folders for all email users. Our secretary manages our main mail and saves emails in folders which other people in our office reference. Is this available in WebTop?
  5. If I was to move to use WebTop, what ability does WebTop provide that would allow me to export out mailboxes if I wanted to move to another email program?

Thank you.

I’m sure that @lucag, @gabriele_bulfon and @matteo.albinola have all the answers! :wink:

In the meanwhile, I will answer for what I know:

It should work, but I suggest using imapsync.
Take a look in the forum:
http://community.nethserver.org/search?q=imapsync

Of course, shared folders are working good.

Sure, the mail is stored by Dovecot using the maildir format. It’s an open format widely used across many IMAP servers.

1 Like

Here I am :wink: … I follow @giacomo in the answers so I can give my contribution:

Webtop 5 offers the ability to import contacts from various formats (txt, csv, xls, xlsx, vcf and vcard).
To do this: right-click on the category → Import Contacts:

2 Likes

Excellent information guys! Thanks very much @lucag and @giacomo. Lots of good information for me to go on here with testing WebTop for our office. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@webtop_team could you please give more info on this? :wink:

@greavette, that link is old and is about webtop4.
We’re still working on WT5 documentation.

Gabriele

@giacomo
@lucag

Hi Luca,
Hi Giacomo,

Sorry to inform you, but after the last rpm, importing contact doesn’t work anymore.

Mar 08 12:34:45 Installed: webtop5-libs-0.0.1-1.17.g5d33838.ns7.noarch
Mar 08 12:34:49 Installed: webtop5-core-0.0.1-1.19.g68d5a61.ns7.noarch
Mar 08 12:34:49 Installed: webtop5-zpush-0.0.1-1.17.g5d33838.ns7.noarch
Mar 08 12:34:50 Installed: nethserver-webtop5-0.0.1-1.32.g1ff15ef.ns7.noarch

1 Like

A new issue with the fix has been raised:

1 Like

Thanks man for reporting this, could you test the fix above ? :point_up_2:

Of course!

But, in this morning I have updated WebTop 5 to the “official” version through Software Center :
Mar 09 09:52:56 Updated: webtop5-libs-1.0.0-1.ns7.noarch
Mar 09 09:53:00 Updated: webtop5-core-1.0.0-1.ns7.noarch
Mar 09 09:53:02 Updated: webtop5-zpush-1.0.0-1.ns7.noarch
Mar 09 09:53:03 Updated: nethserver-webtop5-1.0.0-1.ns7.noarch

Can I install the test packages over this official version?
Which is the best command?

TIA,
Gabriel

Of course :wink:
The command is:

yum --enablerepo=nethserver-testing update nethserver-webtop5
1 Like

I think something went wrong because during the update only nethserver-webtop5.noarch was updated and the issue remains.
Here:
WebTop 5: contacts don't work at all · Issue #5237 · NethServer/dev · GitHub
is written that must be updated two packages:

• nethserver-webtop5-1.0.0-1.1.g819126f.ns7.noarch.rpm
  • webtop5-core-1.0.0-1.1.g9447a2a.ns7.noarch.rpm

I think I will remove WebTop 5 and I will install again from “nethserver-testing”.
Is this correct?

It’s not necessary, sorry but I gave the wrong command. Try this:

yum --enablerepo=nethserver-testing update nethserver-webtop5 webtop5-core

Only in your case, at the end you need to also execute:

signal-event nethserver-webtop5
1 Like

Wrong command, again :frowning:
This is the right one:

signal-event nethserver-webtop5-update 

Lesson learned: I don’t have to write into forum while programming :smiley:

Thanks for your patience!

1 Like

Don’t worry! It can happen to anyone! WE ARE HUMAN!

After this, all imported contacts and not shown till now, appeared.

Tested from the beginning and it works (all three forms in combination with the two options for import mode)!

3 Likes

The fix has been released.

2 Likes

Update through Software Center.

1 Like

Wow! you all move fast on this fix. Nice to see this great collaborative effort. :slight_smile:

Good work Team!

3 Likes