Configuring the Proxy Pass to handle the SSL on behalf of the Proxied host

I don’t suppose we could get something included for configuring the Proxy to handle the SSL on behalf of the Proxied host?

This is an interesting feature, I suggest to discuss it. My goal was a simple UI for the existing proxypass DB. I understand there are many other features around that could be implemented!

Please keep the discussion open!

Thank you for getting an interface working for this. That is a big step in my book.

So I currently use Pound as my reverse proxy solution (it is also a Load balancer). While Pound is a clever bit of software it doesn’t update as rapidly as Apache or other solutions (Nor is it built into NethServer). I only bring it up as an example of software functionality.

The feature in question is that a poxy can manage the SSL portion of the traffic for a host. The advantage being that one could run a reverse proxy through NethServer and manage all the SSL certificates on the proxy (Hopefully through ‘Let’s Encrypt’) without configuring SSL on every web server behind the proxy.

I did a quick search on Google an located a forum thread where Proxypass was configured in this previously described way. It is an Ubuntu forum, but it is specifically dealing with Proxypass configuration.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2064909

If I get it right, basically you would like to create a Virtual Host accessible using SSL and configure a proxy pass to a non-SSL web server.

I think you already can do it by creating an apache config file inside the /etc/httpd/conf.d directory.

Well since the proxypass has been given a new interface it would be preferable that the options are available there for ease of use. However, it is good to know it is possible in the current implementation.

I agree with you! But before writing new code, let’s if the systems can fit all needs :slight_smile:

If everything works, we can schedule an update of the web interface.

Sure.

Would you be able to sketch up a quick Doc about the Apache config option you mentioned? I’m not familiar with the operation you suggested. I would like to convert of my current implementation.

You can find something here, you basically have to write a virtual hosts listening on port 443 and which redirect the traffic to host on port 80.

Thank you.

1 Like

Bump topic timestamp