Configuration databases

Hello there,
I’m trying to figure out how to modify configuration databases in Nethserver 7.
I don’t understand how to get the “usable” values for each key.
If I need to modify the value of a key, I need first to understand which are the “usable” values.
How can I do that?

Thank you

Generally speaking you don’t need to use the e-smith database…if you need it, I would propose you raise a bug :wink:

The most of time you need to set logical value (enabled,disabled,on,off) or digit values, or other specific values but here you need to read the documentation.

I don’t know if you are aware, you have a howto in the wiki

As usual, when I use Linux/BSD based distros, I like to understand how to tweak things from CLI, that saved my life many times.
So now I’m in the process of trying to understand how to tweak things in Nethserver.
Correct me if I’m wrong, confguration file tweaking is not encouraged in Nethserver, instead, when possible, everything should be done through configuration databases (of course ignoring WEB GUI), right?

Thank you

No you are wrong, I was kidding. Sometime you have some settings that are hidden for several (bad) reasons, and you must use the cli.
Nethserver tries, instead of sme server to give the full settings in the server-manager, but you might miss certains. So this howto should be read howto:db_command_tutorial [NethServer Wiki]

1 Like