Cockpit : missing information on dashboard

Hi,

I use Cockpit for some months now and today I wanted to go back to old Server Manager and noticed this :

I was totally unaware of this because that information is missing on the cockpit dashboard. Maybe could it be useful to add it.

Txs

You can find it at the backup log, but I’m with you, it’s better to show it more present, at the Dashboard in my opinion.

Perhaps somebody else is missing it.

Such thing can’t be reported as is because inside Cockpit you can have multiple backups.
But we can ad such information inside the list of backups:

This is not a priority right now, anyone want to give it a try and open a PR?

2 Likes

The backup-email reports Diskusage: Size / Used / Available / %-Use. If your seeting is always you’ll get a report every event. If it is only on error, you’ll be informed at least at first error because of the full disk.
The setting never I wouldn’t use at all.

I have a nightly backup and get every morning my message, so I’m always aware about diskusage.
This is o.k. for me.

Oh I forgot: I’m using duplicity, don’t know if it the same with other backup solutions in NS.

2 Likes

It’s probably time for a nethserver-monitoring module, I guess it would make a consensus. Reading a backup report everyday is not something I’m wanting to do. Computers are made to ease people’s lives, not being babysitted :blush:

1 Like

Nethgui has more feature on backup than Cockpit, which is not considered beta anymore?
May I suggest that… should be a priority for 7.8?

I respect the way you manage the servers (you read all automated messages you receive and this is good), but i cannot agree with you.
There’s no guarantee that anyone will read the reports sent via email… Expecially if there’s not mailserver installed on NethServer or Smarthost configured.

2 Likes

We implemented a UI for multiple backups with:

• exclusions
  • access to logs
  • 3 different engines
  • 7 different storage (with read/write validation)

So yes, you can ask for giving priority to show just a little tip in the UI, but still it will not be a priority to me. :slight_smile:

I agree with @pagaille that is a missing info and should be there. We will probably add it, but not right now.

If this is a priority for you right now, feel free to contribute :wink:

2 Likes

At the moment, on backup list we have this information on each backup:

The details on the calculation are here

1 Like

I should add that actually that information is NOT relevant at all in my case, since I use rsync backup which is meant to fill the backup drive and delete backups as needed once the drive is full. That means that it is perfectly normal and expected to have a full hard drive.

Since I’m the one who proposed that script to be added to NS I’m a bit ashamed :blush:

1 Like

And I’m more ashamed than you because I didn’t remember we already have it! :persevere:

1 Like

I think the bar is not working fine:

1 Like

Me neither actually :

At least data usage of the backup media is available…

1 Like

Maybe it’s a UI issue, do you want to try to investigate? Some time ago it worked :thinking:

1 Like

Sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s something with style inline, because here the bar is handled by style attribute.

1 Like
4 Likes

@federico.ballarini did a great job! The package has been released :clap:

3 Likes

Who’s bringing a beer to him?

2 Likes

I can do it, as soon as we can meet in person again! :wink:

2 Likes