Cant get Wireless Logical Interface to be configured

NethServer Version: NethServer release 7.4.1708 (Final)
Module: Network Adapter

I have a Satellite broadband wireless link which I would like to connect my Wireless NIC and configure role as Internet (Red) with DHCP. I have an existing ADSL link which goes to my Ethernet NIC Internet (Red) and works fine. I would like to setup Multi-WAN from both ISP.
I cant seem to get my Wireless NIC to be configured. If configured with any role, it gives an error and I have to release role before internet connectivity is restored through my existing Ethernet NIC Internet (Red) logical interface. It shows as device with mac address but link status is down. Driver rtl8821ae.

It may be a driver problem. An alternative may be using a supported wifi device:

https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless#head-89d85069a802b6f3b84d757b1ae44369a555ab39

https://www.google.com/search?q=centos+7+rtl8821ae

Another option could be configure an access point as a wireless client and add a wired ethernet interface to connect it.

1 Like

put an access point and a good idea by configuring it as a blue network as in my case
it works great

Thanks @pike, @m_farlotta for suggesting access point and wired ethernet to connect to. I have only two ethernet NICs (Red and Green network) and wireless NIC on server. Wireless link comes of access point/ router but I wont be able to wire to ethernet (WAN).

@mrmarkuz, how do I use or install repo Realtek rtlwifi codes to NethServer? Sorry I’m new to github and repos.

Here is an example for Broadcom wifis:

https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless/Broadcom

Me too but you can just download a ZIP file with all drivers if you click on download, so you don’t have to worry about github.

Tried it but didn’t work:

make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/ M=`pwd`
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/3.10.0-693.11.1.el7.x86_64'
  LD      /root/rtlwifi_new-master/built-in.o
  CC [M]  /root/rtlwifi_new-master/pci.o
In file included from /root/rtlwifi_new-master/pci.c:30:0:
/root/rtlwifi_new-master/wifi.h:45:27: error: ‘IEEE80211_NUM_BANDS’ undeclared here (not in a function)
 #define NUM_NL80211_BANDS IEEE80211_NUM_BANDS
                           ^
/root/rtlwifi_new-master/wifi.h:1399:40: note: in expansion of macro ‘NUM_NL80211_BANDS’
  struct ieee80211_supported_band bands[NUM_NL80211_BANDS];
                                        ^
/root/rtlwifi_new-master/pci.c:49:1: error: redefinition of ‘pci_zalloc_consistent’
 pci_zalloc_consistent(struct pci_dev *hwdev, size_t size,
 ^
In file included from ./arch/x86/include/asm/pci.h:128:0,
                 from include/linux/pci.h:1566,
                 from /root/rtlwifi_new-master/pci.h:33,
                 from /root/rtlwifi_new-master/pci.c:32:
include/asm-generic/pci-dma-compat.h:23:1: note: previous definition of ‘pci_zalloc_consistent’ was here
 pci_zalloc_consistent(struct pci_dev *hwdev, size_t size,
 ^
make[1]: *** [/root/rtlwifi_new-master/pci.o] Error 1
make: *** [_module_/root/rtlwifi_new-master] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/3.10.0-693.11.1.el7.x86_64'

And use two virtual interfaces? One for current RED, one for the network to the AP.

If both providers are not that powerful about bandwith (lower than 10-15MBPS) an 10/100 phisical adapter could still do the trick.

How do I use two virtual interfaces? Do a create new logical interface with role (Internet Red) and type VLAN? NethServer is not installed on VMware.

I can get link up on Wireless NIC using
wpa_supplicant -B -D wext -i wlp4s0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
or
ip link set wlp4s0 up
but when configured (RED role, DHCP), it disconnects my internet (RED) Ethernet NIC. Also configuring /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlp4s0 gets reset on restart.