Cannot remove application

We are working on it…not so easy :slight_smile:

Someone to test the fix ?

2 Likes

How can we test the fix?

yum update nethserver-cockpit --enablerepo=nethserver-testing

follow the QA

Hesitated to do that on a production machine.

Virtualbox is your friend, install, clone and fire a new machine in few minutes. If you want to help the project you are welcome

1 Like

Do I have it done correctly?

you missed cockpit

yum update nethserver-cockpit --enablerepo=nethserver-testing

are you on a VM ?

Yes, this is VM. I just figured that I can SSH into it for text sharing instead of pictures. Here is another try

************ Welcome to NethServer ************

This is a NethServer installation. 

Before editing configuration files, be aware 
of the automatic events and templates system.

http://docs.nethserver.org

[ertan@greenkey.com@neth ~]$ su -
Password: 
Last login: Mon May 11 18:18:46 +03 2020 on tty1
[root@neth ~]# clear
[root@neth ~]# yum update nethserver-cockpit --enablerepo=nethserver-testing
Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror, nethserver_events
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * epel: mirror.veriteknik.net.tr
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package nethserver-cockpit.noarch 0:1.6.3-1.ns7 will be updated
---> Package nethserver-cockpit.noarch 0:1.6.3-1.2.g2fafba7.ns7 will be an update
--> Processing Dependency: nethserver-cockpit-lib >= 1.6.3-1.2.g2fafba7.ns7 for package: nethserver-cockpit-1.6.3-1.2.g2fafba7.ns7.noarch
--> Running transaction check
---> Package nethserver-cockpit-lib.noarch 0:1.6.3-1.ns7 will be updated
---> Package nethserver-cockpit-lib.noarch 0:1.6.3-1.2.g2fafba7.ns7 will be an update
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

===============================================================================================================================================================================================================
 Package                                                Arch                                   Version                                                Repository                                          Size
===============================================================================================================================================================================================================
Updating:
 nethserver-cockpit                                     noarch                                 1.6.3-1.2.g2fafba7.ns7                                 nethserver-testing                                 2.7 M
Updating for dependencies:
 nethserver-cockpit-lib                                 noarch                                 1.6.3-1.2.g2fafba7.ns7                                 nethserver-testing                                  27 k

Transaction Summary
Upgrade  1 Package (+1 Dependent package)

Total download size: 2.7 M
Is this ok [y/d/N]: y
Downloading packages:
No Presto metadata available for nethserver-testing
(1/2): nethserver-cockpit-lib-1.6.3-1.2.g2fafba7.ns7.noarch.rpm                                                                                                                         |  27 kB  00:00:02     
(2/2): nethserver-cockpit-1.6.3-1.2.g2fafba7.ns7.noarch.rpm                                                                                                                             | 2.7 MB  00:00:16     
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total                                                                                                                                                                          166 kB/s | 2.7 MB  00:00:16     
Running transaction check
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded
Running transaction
  Updating   : nethserver-cockpit-lib-1.6.3-1.2.g2fafba7.ns7.noarch                                                                                                                                        1/4 
  Updating   : nethserver-cockpit-1.6.3-1.2.g2fafba7.ns7.noarch                                                                                                                                            2/4 
  Cleanup    : nethserver-cockpit-1.6.3-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                                                                                       3/4 
  Cleanup    : nethserver-cockpit-lib-1.6.3-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                                                                                   4/4 
  Verifying  : nethserver-cockpit-1.6.3-1.2.g2fafba7.ns7.noarch                                                                                                                                            1/4 
  Verifying  : nethserver-cockpit-lib-1.6.3-1.2.g2fafba7.ns7.noarch                                                                                                                                        2/4 
  Verifying  : nethserver-cockpit-1.6.3-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                                                                                       3/4 
  Verifying  : nethserver-cockpit-lib-1.6.3-1.ns7.noarch                                                                                                                                                   4/4 

Updated:
  nethserver-cockpit.noarch 0:1.6.3-1.2.g2fafba7.ns7                                                                                                                                                           

Dependency Updated:
  nethserver-cockpit-lib.noarch 0:1.6.3-1.2.g2fafba7.ns7                                                                                                                                                       

Complete!
[root@neth ~]#
1 Like

good, read the github QA (what you need to test) and check what you found is conform what the QA expects.

When you test something, be curious, open logs like messages or others and check you have no errors in logs

Do not be shy if you have something you miss, please ask

I almost did not understand them all.

• I do not know where and how to add shortcut
  • I do not know where and how to add pin.
  • I do not know where to set HideUninstall option.
  • I did understand what it means "can remove if $cockpit.socket{HideUninstall}=disabled" and “can remove software if $cockpit.socket{HideUninstall}=disabled (except nethserver-httpd)
    What is “except nethserver-httpd”?
  • I do not know how to delegate at least one application to a regular user.

Sorry, It is less than a month I am using NethServer and CentOS both.

1 Like

No worries, we are here to help.

Check the kebab menu (3-dots menu) of each application.
Add shortcuts:

The administrator can add shortcuts to applications which are frequently used. Applications with a shortcut, will be linked to the left menu.

Pinned apps (also known as “add to homepage”):

Installed applications can be added to the launcher by clicking on the Add to home page button. All users will be able to access the public link of the application.

Check role delegation docs:

To create a new delegation, access the User & Groups page under the group section, then edit an existing group or create a new one. Select one or more items from the System views and Applications menus.

Even if a user has been delegated, it must be explicitly granted the shell access before being able to log into the Server Manager.

4 Likes

I am now doing tests by user root.
I see shortcut works.
However, I could not seem to find where is “homepage” (or pinned). App only visible as shortcut and no where else but under Applications.

When I call shortcut it is like in below screen shot.
Thanks & regards,
Ertan

You can reach the homepage via
https://neth.greenkey.com
without any login.
Once clicked on one of the application, you will be redirected to the app with the login (if necessary)

well it is the first process step of the learning curve

when you are root, you have a three dot button on the right of each application, it is hidden there

config setprop cockpit.socket HideUninstall enabled

then root & admin cannot remove application, you must test also after with

config setprop cockpit.socket HideUninstall disabled

root and admin can uninstall application (except web server fro admin)

nethserver-httpd cannot be removed by admin, only root can uninstall nethserver-httpd

1 Like

root user: all tests passed.

1 Like

Problem with a user member of “domain admins” group when $cockpit.socket{HideUninstall}=disabled

User can install application. It cannot see kebab menu.

Below is user root screen:

No error in /var/log/messages file as far as I can see. There is just TLS errors, they are probably related with my browser.

May 11 23:11:47 neth cockpit-ws: couldn't read from connection: Peer sent fatal TLS alert: Unknown certificate
May 11 23:11:47 neth cockpit-ws: couldn't read from connection: Peer sent fatal TLS alert: Unknown certificate
May 11 23:11:51 neth nmbd[15502]: [2020/05/11 23:11:51.741405,  0] ../source3/nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:397(become_local_master_stage2)
May 11 23:11:51 neth nmbd[15502]:  *****
May 11 23:11:51 neth nmbd[15502]: 
May 11 23:11:51 neth nmbd[15502]:  Samba name server NETH is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.8.80
May 11 23:11:51 neth nmbd[15502]: 
May 11 23:11:51 neth nmbd[15502]:  *****
May 11 23:12:26 neth dbus[753]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.hostname1' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.hostname1.service'
May 11 23:12:26 neth systemd: Starting Hostname Service...
May 11 23:12:26 neth dbus[753]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.hostname1'
May 11 23:12:26 neth systemd: Started Hostname Service.
May 11 23:12:26 neth cockpit-bridge: No entry for terminal type "unknown";
May 11 23:12:26 neth cockpit-bridge: using dumb terminal settings.
May 11 23:13:39 neth dbus[753]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.hostname1' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.hostname1.service'
May 11 23:13:39 neth systemd: Starting Hostname Service...
May 11 23:13:39 neth dbus[753]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.hostname1'
May 11 23:13:39 neth systemd: Started Hostname Service.
May 11 23:13:39 neth cockpit-bridge: No entry for terminal type "unknown";
May 11 23:13:39 neth cockpit-bridge: using dumb terminal settings.
May 11 23:13:41 neth cockpit-bridge: No entry for terminal type "unknown";
May 11 23:13:41 neth cockpit-bridge: using dumb terminal settings.
May 11 23:14:09 neth cockpit-ws: couldn't read from connection: Peer sent fatal TLS alert: Unknown certificate
May 11 23:14:09 neth cockpit-ws: couldn't read from connection: Peer sent fatal TLS alert: Unknown certificate

I am assuming that my browser access will not be available until I re-install. So, I am afraid to test that as I do not know how to install it back from command line.

What command should I issue to install removed nethserver-httpd?

Hello,

I just realize another problem.

1- Removed application shortcut and homepage settings are not reset. Meaning, installing same application behaves as if there is an existing shortcut or pin. However, there is none.

Problem is fixed by clicking once “Remove shortcut” and “Remove from homepage”

2- Shortcut remains where it is after removing of an application completes.
One have to refresh or logout and login to fix that one.

I do not know if I should be opening a new thread. Just posting here as I find out about them while doing indicated tests.

Thanks & regards,
Ertan

3 Likes

you have find a new bug… welcome in the QA team :slight_smile:

Sorry for the time to answer

the bug has been verified : Cockpit: admin cannot uninstall applications · Issue #6153 · NethServer/dev · GitHub

2 Likes