Can you merge "roundcubemail" and "nethserver-roundcubemail" like Nextcloud package?

Hello all,

To be better, can you merge:

• “roundcubemail”
  • “nethserver-roundcubemail”

Like Nextcloud?

Thanks in advance.

Better in… What?

“To be better” is a bit vague.
Till quite recently roundcube package came from EPEL. That meant a separate package.
As Steph is maintaining a newer one, in the near future who knows. That’s up to the devs to decide the cons and pros.

1 Like

Nextcloud is an unusual case; for almost all of the software Nethserver uses, there are separate RPMs for the software itself and for the integration with Nethserver. It’s been that way from the early e-smith days, and it makes for a pretty clear division of which package provides what. Even for software where we’ve had to build our own RPMs, we’ve generally maintained that distinction. So I’m not sure why Nextcloud was changed in the way that it was, and I’m not sure that it was a good thing.

So with that background, your request sounds odd. It’s contrary to they way we handle almost everything else in the system, with Nextcloud as a notable exception. What benefit do you see that it would provide?

What makes this a “good” way to deliver the software is that developers can do quite every rebuild they need for what’s necessary “around” the “delivered” package from the distro upstream and/or the original publisher.
If the NethServer path changes, the package provided by the upstream is still the same, only adjustment needed on the connection between system and “package provided software”.

NethServer is… not exactly a distro. Distro is CentOS7, esmith and other technologies are used as configuration orchestrator for the system and the software needed. So repacking the available is… not needed? Or better: not worth the develop time and the possibile complications due to mangle, trickle and modify a “good-enough-quality” package delivered by “someone/thing” trusted, like CentOS or the original software developer.
A skilled sysadmin do not need NethServer (and i am not a skilled sysadmin nor a linux user). But might find NethServer “low hassle enough” to adopt it for some user cases.