Can NethServer be run completely in Docker?

Just had a sudden thought, can NethServer be completely run in Docker with the file storage and databases using the host’s file system at all?

@bwdjames

Hi

Just thinking… the AD bit would be slightly problematic, same goes for firewalling…

And, to be honest, if it’s only for running file sharing and a few databases - I don’t need docker, just to have docker running… :slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

NethServer is not an application. Therefore i’m assuming that at current state it’s not “containerable”.

2 Likes

Running it on a hypervisor environment gives the advantages of ‘dockerizing’ NethServer.

• Easy snapshotting for quick rollbacks.
  • Make a template of a fresh install for deployment of a new instance in seconds.

I would strongly suggest to choose proxmox as a hypervisor, but there are several other options like HyperV, ESX(i), Xen, KVM

@robb
@bwdjames

Proxmox IS (better: uses) KVM !!!

And is the only one mentionned which offers Linux Containers besides so called “Full Virtualization”.

Proxmox comes with a LOT of benefits, among them:

• Live Backups for almost any OS including Windows
  • Live Migration
  • Full High Availability Cluster
  • VERY moderate Licence costs. Per CPU Socket, around 100€/year… (Community)
  • VERY Stable, equal or better than VMWare ESXi.
  • Very Current, plenty of updates - BUT only needs 1-2 reboots / year!

One of the coolest features:
Both my Win7 and my Win10 “Admin” machines running in Proxmox are connected to my NethServer, also running in Proxmox with a 100 GB NIC! (Had to look twice the first time!)

Besides which a LOT of the people in this forum use Proxmox as their Basis, so do I!

:slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

@Andy_Wismer You could see proxmox over KVM as NethServer over CentOS… :slight_smile:
And as for NS, there is also a support plan for Proxmox, but you perfectly can use it free of charge. For private use I don’t have a subscription on Proxmox, but if I would use it in a professional way, it is a no-brainer to have a subscription for Proxmox.

@robb

Subscription:

Try comparing prices for all 4 products, Proxmox has the simplest pricing models of the virtualizations…

Comparison:

Yes, but then I wouldn’t directly compare NethServer with CentOS…
ClearOS or Univention would be a fairer comparison…

I DO understand what you mean, but you need to compare apples with apples…

This is going WAY offtopic but allas…
My brainwave in this was: NethServer is a set of packages over CentOS. Proxmox is a set of packages over KVM. Both enhancing the base product enormously.

1 Like

@robb

That works for me