CAD Viewer Integration

What do you guys think about implementing a CAD viewing app in Nethserver-Nextcloud? A little searching came up with Exxar and CADViewer . CADViewer can walk you through the steps to integrate it with Nextcloud, but I wouldn’t want my Nethserver to be compromised. We are a machine manufacturing company that would relish customers being able to open up 2D and 3D drawings in their different formats (i.e. dwg, dxf, stp, iges, etc.) from within Nextcloud, for review. This would allow them to choose which files they want to download (or not).

Hi Dirk

Simpler would be to provide a reduced JPG Preview Image, and underneath all the available formats you provide, allowing your customers to preview which drawing the want. A preview in the specific format is not really required, as anyone using CAD will want to open that drawing in their preferred CAD application, be it AutoCAD, ArcihCAD or whatever - after all, it’s the tool they’re familiar with and have ready to use…
And, they usually know what import format works best for them!

And as it’s only intended as a preview, it doesn’t have to be in 400DPI (or higher) rendered as JPG…

Less work, and risk for you!

Besides the standard image formats like JPG / PNG / GIF that most people are familiar with (Including older standards like BMP and others), which CAN contain additional Infos like Metadata (Where was the photo taken, the objective settings, etc., there are other businesses / industires which have more specialized requirements, as any CAD user knows.

Anther highly specialized case are medical Images, with the DICOM standard. As with any other Image format, these images have grown in size and quality too. From the old monochromatic classic x-rays to the highly chromatic enhanced 3D movies “fly thru” tomograph images / movies in high-res…
At least they have one standard, DICOM, albeit that exists in different “versions”, similiar to CAD versions, which support additional features…
Doctors, Hospitals and other health institutions are mandated by law to provide the images to their patients, and often also provide for a “viewer” app. But professionals want to use their app they’re familiar with… :slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

That could be another app. I’m talking something like CADViewer, where customers can preview a drawing in 3D prior to downloading, or even as an alternative to downloading. Maybe all they want to do is rotate it around in 3D. I get viewing it in jpeg sounds like a simpler app, something the medical community would be cool with, but a jpeg wouldn’t satisfy my customers. I know, not your guys’ worry, but it would be sweet for my business. I would take a stab at implementing it in nextcloud if I weren’t so afraid of breaking a good thing.

Standard Image handling of JPG / GIF / PNG is built in to NextCloud, no need to do anything except a nifty presentation! (Readme.md, a free module available in Nextcloud Shop, would be a good idea…)

CADViewer: Depending on the CAD you have / use, such features and viewers are included…

Example: ArchiCAD / BIM Server with 3D viewers, including full texturing (not needed for machine parts like screws and bolts…) including web access and 3D viewing with rotation which even works in an exported PDF!

Now, that’s really sweet…
No versioning headaches, the server handles it all. Same seamless operation for storage and backups…
Nice!

Then including it in Nextcloud would be easier, using external web (Displayed in an iFrame in Nextcloud)…

My 2 cents
Andy

PS: There is already a DICOM app for viewing in Nextcloud…

Medical DICOM Images also include a plethora of patient specific data, allergic reactions, treatment so far… almost like a components list in CAD…

And todays 3D Tomography makes this on par with CAD… :slight_smile:

The new Nextcloud integration of CADviewer looks quite interesting…
But the full server has it’s price, at 4190 USD, it’s not quite a “steal” as the saying goes…
Then again, AutoCAD and ArchiCAD both are not discount products either, when it comes to pricing… :slight_smile:

@Andy_Wismer you can see some difference between Autodesk and Adobe?
Few years ago the word “Moneygrabber” was a meme of youtube. For these companies is a leitmotiv.