Brainstorming about epel updates

Looking a bit on how works the process updates of neth, I can see that some rpms are older than in Epel, the first mirror where they come from. In fact, I’m looking a way for checking updates for nethserver-phpMyAdmin and nethserver-Wordpress and thus this is why I raise my question.

Just with nethserver-roundcubemail installed I can see

# yum check-update --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=epel
amavisd-new.noarch             2.9.1-2.el6                  epel
clamav.x86_64                     0.98.6-1.el6                epel
clamav-db.x86_64                0.98.6-1.el6                epel
clamd.x86_64                      0.98.6-1.el6                epel
perl-Net-Server.noarch          2.007-2.el6                 epel
php-pear-Net-Sieve.noarch    1.3.4-1.el6                 epel
roundcubemail.noarch           1.0.5-1.el6                 epel

I understand that their importation is a question of time and tests but I would be interested to know if you have some automatic routines for checking updates. Why because just with the above example it is easy to understand that more the clamav software is recent, more malwares are detected. It will be the same with roundecubemail-1.1 that is coming in epel. I shared with remi collet about the update and also the ldap sync from kolab, all are now available in the remi repository, that bring us a lot of new cool stuffs, I use it on my sme server.
it makes me think if this roundcube version can’t be available in epel, that could be really interesting to import the remi’s one.

No automation by now. All is handcrafted patiently. Indeed we (still) need to set up testing automation. I know this is not good. Any help and suggestion is welcome!

I have mirrored your repository and the interesting part of epel (eg x64 bit), I know it is a bit over-skill for me, but I want to see If I can do a script able to look after updates.

1 Like

The yum-utils package has some interesting commands to start with!

whaou :slight_smile: Thanks a lot

Well yum-utils can be used, but it is not really precise as I would, however the winner is yumdownloader

yumdownloader --resolve --destdir=/tmp/plop --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=epel pwauth phpMyAdmin mod_authnz_external

This download all dependencies, in a better way than repotrack which fails to download only for the x64 (see this link to patch repotrack)

Of course once downloaded, a human intervention is still necessary to manage, test, install and push to the correct repository, but in fact that can help to save time.

1 Like