NethServer Version: 7.9.2009
I apologize in advance for what I think is an incredibly newbie question…
I am trying to configure the Firewall in my NethServer to act as a sort of parental control. I was reading through the help section https://docs.nethserver.org/en/v7/firewall.html and I’m struggling to understand what I’m reading. It seems to be written for people who have a pretty good understanding of the firewall terminology.
Unfortunately, that’s not me.
I think there are two big questions that I have that I am not seeing in the documentation…
- Can I apply a rule to a specific mac address, or do I need to assign an IP address to the device I want to limit and use that?
- Is the Source the IP address of the computer I want to limit access to? And is the Destination the web page or service I want to stop the source from going to? Is there a way that I can just shut down all internet access to one device so they can’t go to any web page? Is there a wild card I need to enter as the Destination? Or do I just leave it blank?
- What is Service? The documentation says it’s optional. Am I right in thinking that’s stuff like email or ftp’s or something? What would be a valid entry here?
- I assume that description is just a text field that I can enter something in here so I know what I was trying to do when I look at this six months from now, right?
- What format should I enter the Time as? I’m assuming this is where I would put the time that I want the rule to apply? So, if I didn’t want my kids on the internet after midnight, I could enter something here? Can it apply only Monday to Friday?
If you know of any documentation that has more detail than what I linked above, I’d appreciate it greatly!!