First of all many thanks to all the good work on Nethserver!
I have switched from Zentyal to Nethserver beginning of the year and since then, run Nethserver 7.
I would like to buy a new specific hardware for Nethserver and I am not sure which direction to go.
- Do I need cores or frequency?
- Xeon / ECC ?
- Are there Nethserver modules that have requirements/can make use of GPU (Cuda)?
The new Intel Atom C3758 based processors with QAT should support of lot of SSL and compression work. Does Nethserver 7 support this feature? Maybe via a separate repository.
In case QAT can be made to work and useful, I would like to buy this device. Though I am marginally competent Linux user and would probably need support to get QAT working and ensure compatibility with upgrading. In case hardware to test is an issues, we might be able to work something out.
Main jobs / requirements are (SoHO; 15 users, family and friends share):
- Firewall / Gateway / Router
- Nextcloud! (Large amount of files, music, pictures, GoPro-movies, gpspod, need a good performance)
- VPN (routed for Android)
- Domain (separate FileServer authenticated against domain)
- Mail server
- 1 or 2 VMs (VPN bridge for Windows)
- power efficient (<25 Watt idle)
A very popular site in the Netherlands launches frequently Best-Buys, I can imagine within the Nethserver community this might be a useful category .
Thank you in advance for your consideration and advice!