Backup to USB (RDX) fully automatic?

NethServer Version: 7.7

I use three RDX USB HDD on one of my nethserver for the file-backup. I do not really know the exact day when the customer change the HDD…

I always get an error when the RDX HDD was changed… I then have to manually configure the right HDD to be able to backup the files…

I would like to optimize this behavior. Any suggestions?

Are they mounted to the same mountpoint?
If possible, I would opt for a more sturdy solution like a NAS or a cloud storage. (or both)

1 Like

I will check that.

edit:

edit:
I used these commands to prepare the RDX-USB-HDD

And I named it backup-1, backup-2 and backup3.

They have to use a HDD to be able to take the data into a safe elsewhere…

i started that way usb hdd, and now i have changed to NAS solution with CIFS, yesterday I had a problem with nextcloud restaure confs and data, flawless all up and running after 25 min of restaure,… but i need hotsync to make an second nethserver in case of machine failure(nethserver my main router at home)…

Would you please change the name, making them the same one?
For differentiating you should put a small .txt file named “backup1” and so go on.

ATM the customer is on vacation but next week I am going to setup another server with an RDX-USB-HDD. I will test it on the new server…

This file - backup1.txt - should be copied to the USB-HDD ? And what is the content of the file?

If it is to have a safe remote storage, I strongly suggest to use a cloud soluition for that. Preferably by using a VPS so you have full control over the storage.
AFAIK NethServer backup uses encryption, so IF the backup ever gets compromised in some way, a key is needed to decrypt the backup.
Besides that you could add an extra layer of encryption by using a (veracrypt) container where you backup to… (that’s what I do with the database for my password manager)

IMVHO the different label causes errors when the cartdrige is changed and needs a fix for the destination of the backup.
adding the small file into the root dir of the drive will allow from console/ssh to correctly identify which cartdrige is inserted.
OR…
Maybe you can also workaround creating a backup profile for each cartdrige, but in this way you will generate N-1 errors for any schedule, with N as the number of cartdrige available.

low-tech fix: label them identically and place a sticker on them: disk1, disk2, disk3

Which was my hint… I am assuming that RDX Cartdrige is already proved with labels/sticker

And in case of a restore, how are the disks identified from the server?

Yes they are…