Backup on Nethserver

NethServer Version: NethServer release 7.6.1810 (final)
Kernel release 3.10.0-957.10.1.el7.x86_64
Module: backup

Hello, I’ve recently inherited a nethserver VM, serving mostly as a file server, and I’ve been trying to configure data backup for it, but I’m admittedly at a loss. I’ve read the related documentation but there are a few points I don’t understand :

1. Where (if possible) can the engine for backup be selected ?
  2. I’ve configured the backup for a save on a share on a synology NAS (100.77) cf img below.

But I don’t see where/how I can configure crendentials for access to the share ? (logically, the backup log gives the following message:
    Backup: backup-data Backup started at 2019-04-08 19:00:01 Pre backup scripts status: SUCCESS Error while mounting 192.168.100.77:/volume1/BACKUP_Nethserver : mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.100.77:/volume1/BACKUP_Nethserver at /etc/e-smith/events/actions/mount-nfs line 88. Can’t mount /mnt/backup-backup-data Action ‘backup-data-duplicity backup-data’: FAIL Backup status: FAIL

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be quite grateful.
Thanks for your time.

Sollips

For NFS there is no authentication support:
From the Dev manual:
nfs : save the backup on a remote NFS server. No authentication supported.
http://docs.nethserver.org/projects/nethserver-devel/en/v7/nethserver-backup-data.html

Just a brainwave: If you run a pre-backup script that mounts the NFS share, you don’t need the backup process to authenticate. Anyone cares to share some sample of a pre-backup mount script?

Another option could be automount Would this be a viable/wise option? Any security issues to count with?

/edit: did some digging in how to mount an NFS share and how permissions are handled: What I find is that NFS shares are not credential protected, but usualy have a whitelist of what/who can access the share. So the mount process should always be possible .

1 Like

Hello,
And thanks for your time. I’m going to dig in the “pre-backup script that mounts the NFS share” direction indeed.
Of course if there was a way to parameter the backup in a simple way, I wouldn’t mind either :wink: