Avoid printers from connecting to internet by using host group

Hi guys

Im just startint to using nethserver, i have two problems:

1.- i want to avoid my printers fron conecting to internet, how can i do it by using the filter, otherwise what can i do?

2.-im experiencing some trouble, lan users is resquesting connect to some blacklisted ip, for example 192.141.244.133, there are several more, but this one is hitting the most, how can ai know whic ip from my lan user is trying to conect, and is there a way to block this ip from the server?

use the fail2ban module and add ip to a jail

2 Likes

I think you can prevent your printers accessing the internet as follows:
If your nethserver is handing out IP address, give the printers static IP addresses using the DHCP config page.
If your printers are manually configured set DNS entries on your nethserver.
Go to Firewall > Objects > Host Group and set up a group which contains your printers.
Go to Web Proxy & filter > Filter then add a profile which prevents access to the internet for your group that contains the printers.

I think that’s how you do it!

Regards
bob

Hi

Even easier:

On each printer, set the Gateway to an unused LAN IP address.

Simple, rock solid!

My 2 cents
Andy

4 Likes

in order to prevent acces to the internet, how do i configure the new filter profile?

in order to prevent acces to the internet, how do i configure the new filter profile?

Go to
Applications > Web Proxy & Filter > Filter
Click “Add profile”
Enter the name of the group containing your printers, then follow the input wizard. That should do it.

1 Like