Automatic upgrade to mail2

Since NethServer 7.5 was released new installations of the Mail module are based on mail2 packages, and run Rspamd as spam filter. Existing installations based on amavisd-new can be upgraded manually, as announced here:

I think the new Mail module is stable enough to fully replace the older one in an automatic way. I propose to release an automatic upgrade to the Rspamd based implementation.

Maintaining two different implementations that do the same thing is a waste of energy!

What do you think?

It sounds like a good idea. What are the risks? Have we seen unintended or unexpected operation as a result of the manual upgrades?

1 Like

I agree, all my servers are upgraded already.
Only issue may be with raspberry arm implementation as it seems not easy to use mail2 because of RAM usage (clamav), see https://github.com/markVnl/nethserver-arm-dev/issues/12

2 Likes

With Raspberry I guess the best thing to do is to avoid mail-filter completely: too much RAM required!

Not here

3 Likes

Work has been done and it is possible to install nethserver-mail2 without the nethserver-mail2-filter package (e.g. make it optional) . Did no work / testing on arm though and the repo still needs to be updated. :open_mouth:

3 Likes

One minor topic i’d like to point out is the nethserver-mail-smarthost dependency.

If there are issues in a corner-case and you start to thinker to correct it; you might remove smarthost accidentally.

1 Like

Once we merge smarthost code into nethserver-mail repo we can fix the dependency too

4 Likes

Updated arm repositories, made the filter-package optional and so far so good!

3 Likes

Curious about the Status because while testing / working on other stuff came across a unpleasant side effect of the comps solution to pull the latest nethserver-mail stack in;

If a group containing nethserver-mail2 is removed it removes the mail2 packages and packages depending on mail2 too.
To reproduce:
Install from software center Email , Roundcube web mail and WebTop 5 groupware (or sogo).
then remove Roundcube web mail.
or shortcut:
Install Email and on the command line remove (not installed) roundcubemail group
yum remove @"Roundcube web mail"

Besides this an other observation;

It is impossible to reinstall a mail2 package: it conflicts with it self: :disappointed_relieved:

# yum reinstall nethserver-mail2-server
ERROR with transaction check vs depsolve:
nethserver-mail-server conflicts with nethserver-mail2-server-2.2.8-1.ns7.noarch
nethserver-mail-server conflicts with (installed) nethserver-mail2-server-2.2.8-1.ns7.noarch

I am convinced now versioning at provides and obsoletes is mandatory.

2 Likes

Thank you for the hint! I’m preparing the patch and will try to fix this issue too!

I think we can release the automatic upgrade once https://github.com/NethServer/dev/issues/5583 has been closed.

3 Likes

The day has come! The packages have been released and mirrors are synchronizing.

Thanks to @giacomo for reviewing and testing the .spec file patch!

4 Likes

In the goups nethserver-mail-server is still mandatory for roundcubemail and webtop,
IIUC we still have above described behavior…

Is it necessary to keep nethserver-mail-server mandatory?

1 Like

We could remove it from the Roundcube and Webtop group, if it’s already pulled in by the RPM dependency… I’d say yes we can do it!

1 Like