Assistance with adding experimental app to Nethserver

NethServer Version: NethServer release 7.3.1611 (Final)
Module: Nextcloud

Hi Team,

I’m trying to install an app not on the marketplace (I know…living risky here!). The maintainer of this app (Workin2gether) has suggested I can get this app installed on my Nextcloud by doing the following:

Use the OCC CLI in your nextcloud root directory (search for the occ file) and execute this (web-user depends on your webserver. In my case apache2):
sudo -u www-data /usr/bin/php occ app:enable workin2gether

What webserver does nethserver use for Nextcloud?
What will issuing this instruction do to my nethserver/nextcloud? Any concerns?
Will by issuing this instruction/using this app, will I break updating Nextcloud for future updates?

Thanks!

[quote=“greavette, post:1, topic:6209”]
What webserver does nethserver use for Nextcloud?[/quote]
apache

[quote=“greavette, post:1, topic:6209”]
What will issuing this instruction do to my nethserver/nextcloud?[/quote]
You have to replace www-data with apache.
If the app is present on your system, it will enable it from the command line.
Some experimental apps can also be enabled from Nextcloud interface (IIRC cog wheel at bottom-left).

When updating Nextcloud the apps will be disabled and you will have to enable them again.

1 Like

When approaching NethServer in general it uses the RedHat/CentOS standard which has a number of small but significant differences from the popular Debian standard distros like Ubuntu, Linux Mint. So if you are coming from a Debian/Ubuntu background, review the RedHat standard. apt-get = yum. www-data=apache. conf files for updating will have small differences as well. A few links on the differences:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromLinux/RedHatEnterpriseLinuxAndFedora

There should give you a solid starting point of what to look for in config and custom installations. The Dev manual has some useful details as well.

2 Likes

Very good points @jlibster. you are correct…I should have noticed this was ubuntu instruction and not CentOS. This page here describes exactly what we need to know about using the occ command (from either debian/ubuntu or Redhad/CentOS). https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/9/admin_manual/configuration_server/occ_command.html

Funny thing about my experimental app. I’ve git cloned it to my apps directory. And using the occ command to check the app - Workin2gether I see that the app is not seen by occ. I can see the directory in my Apps folder but occ can’t see it. Any ideas?

To give further detail to anyone else reading this post…I use the following occ command to list all my apps:

sudo -u apache /usr/bin/php /var/www/html/nextcloud/occ app:list

Doing this command I can see all my apps…but I can’t see the Workin2gether app…and yet I have a folder for this app so I know it’s there?

When trying to enable the app from Nextcloud interface, it says the app version does not match the version reported by the app store:

That’s right @dnutan. :slight_smile: Exactly what I saw. So I reached out to the maintener of the app and he’s suggesting I use the occ command to add it. But it would seem I need to update the info.xml version info.

Problem is though the Nextcloud version listed in info.xml looks correct:

nextcloud min-version=“9” max-version=“11.9”

So I did a check of what version I have in Nextcloud:

sudo -u apache /usr/bin/php /var/www/html/nextcloud/occ -V

And I get:

version 10.0.2

So I’m definitely within the min/max listed in info.xml.

I’m stuck? What is the problem with the version in info.xml that is causing this to not work?

cd /var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/
wget https://github.com/Patt92/Workin2Gether/releases/download/0.9.0.1/files_w2g.tar.gz
tar -xvzf files_w2g.tar.gz
rm files_w2g.tar.gz
sudo -u apache /usr/bin/php /var/www/html/nextcloud/occ app:enable files_w2g
1 Like

Looks like someone you know found the same issue :laughing::

1 Like

Hi @dnutan, yep that’s me! :slight_smile: Like I said, I opened an issue with the maintainer of this app to ask why the error. And thanks to you and your excellent answer I’ve confirmed that grabbing the version from github was the answer!

Amazing work @dnutan!

Cheers.

Ok, my bad. There’s one caveat because I didn’t read carefully enough about the git cloning recommended by Patrick.

I think you will be better disabling and removing files_w2g and using the git clone, because there is an open issue with the folder app name:

Just tried with the latest git clone and it’s working:

yum install git
sudo -u apache /usr/bin/php /var/www/html/nextcloud/occ app:disable files_w2g
cd /var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/
rm -rf files_w2g
git clone https://github.com/Patt92/Workin2Gether.git
mv Workin2Gether/workin2gether ./
rm -rf Workin2Gether
sudo -u apache /usr/bin/php /var/www/html/nextcloud/occ app:enable workin2gether

PS: Please, ask Patrick about the folder name, just to make sure we are on the right track.