ARM development: next steps

Yes, I forgot that …it’s the kind of input I need :smile:

IIRC packages that we recompile from EPEL and SCLo as dependencies for our modules will go to nethserver-updates/armhfp. Wherever an upstream mirror exists, mirrorlist will point to it.

Otherwise it could point to an empty/dummy repo and its packages are expected to be in nethserver-updates (or nethserver-base).

3 Likes

Yesterday I was able to install CentOS on a new Raspberry Pi4 2GB via this link:
https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=71407&p=300229#p300246

After expanding the root partition I inserted the uSD into the Pi and was able to install NethServer:

yum install -y http://mirror.nethserver.org/nethserver/nethserver-release-7.rpm
nethserver-install

I had still some problems:

• repo’s ce-sclo-sclo and ce-sclo-rh still had to be disabled manually; I don’t know the implication of this;
  • openVPN could not be installed;
  • rspamd as part of nethserver-mail-filter could not be installed.

What are the options to solve these problems?

1 Like

You shouldn’t have any major drawbacks.

I have no idea on this.

I don’t know :slight_smile: The ARM project is community driven but it’s a little bit stuck.
Maybe @dz00te or other ARM users can help to solve your problems :slight_smile:

The rspamd rpm has been done manually by @mark_nl AFAIK, maybe he can upgrade the version or share his note to do it ourself ?

the last src.rpm I know is : http://packages.nethserver.org/nethserver/7/arm-base/Source/SPackages/rspamd-1.8.2-1.ns7.src.rpm

1 Like

Installation of nethserver-mail-filter requires rspamd ≥ 1.9.1. I really have no idea how to upgrade this. @mark_nl can you point me in the right direction?

I hope the ARM project stays alive. Older Pi’s were not so powerfull; other boards were more powerfull, but I wasn’t able to install a recent version of Centos on it. I believe the new Pi4 will change this and might be a energy-saving server for soho-use.

1 Like

I think it’s the same problem as with evebox, it’s not compiled for arm in the new version.

Perhaps @smutje1179 can help with compiling

2 Likes

well I can build locally rspamd for x86_64, probably more to know for ARM, wait and see

Thank @mark_nl for the spec file

1 Like

Yes it could be, main restraint was the 1G ram with 2G or more it should perform much better!

@ftimmers give me a couple of days to update/(re)compile nethserver dependencies like rspamd for armhfp.

(Sorry for being a lousy community member…)

6 Likes

Thank a lot mark

Don’t worry. If you wanna come back to the party you’re welcome.

4 Likes

This is great! Many thanks in advance! Please take your time, I’m not in a hurry.

1 Like

I got my hands on a rpi4 4G model, it on it’s way now…

For those interested they have one last in stock… (dutch webshop)
https://opencircuit.shop/Product/15270/Raspberry-Pi-4-Model-B-4GB

2 Likes

thanlk a lot for armhfp, what about for aarch64, do you have the hardware for this work ?

1 Like

Yes, i use a odroid c2 or a scaleway vps (0.6 cent per hour or 2.99 per month) and it also possible to boot aarch64 on a rpi 3(+) :wink:

The usual workflow is build it for armhfp and then aarch64 is almost all times easy to do, so it will land a bit later in the repo’s

EDIT:
And meanwhile (Fedora) copr has aarch64 epel 7 as an build target :+1:

3 Likes

Still on the list to look in too…

Without further testing it did install oke over here, however it took an awful long time :cold_sweat:
Seems to be related to creation of certificates. From journalctl, note elapsed time 3:12

Aug 29 22:34:48 rpi4.havak.lan esmith::event[11266]: Using configuration from /var/lib/nethserver/certs/ca.cnf
Aug 29 22:38:00 rpi4.havak.lan esmith::event[11266]: Using CA Common Name: NethServer CA

crypto / entropy issue :thinking:

Rspamd 1.9.1-2 for armhfp is in testing (As you know from a PM…). Did minimal testing on it (installed and checked if it is running :hushed: )

3 Likes

I had the install running for over a half hour; it still had not finished and I decided to stop the install. Maybe that was because of it running on a Pi4 with only 2GB memory.

Thanks for the tip: I bought the last one :wink:. I had a 4GB in backorder somewhere else, but because of long delivery times I decided to buy the 2GB. Yesterday this 4GB model is delivered to me, so this weekend I will have time to test some things:

• install nethserver-mail-filter;
  • install openvpn.

Nice!

opened an issue for the repo error

-OT-
Maybe you already noticed the comment I’ve dropped @ centos board about wlan on a rpi 4.
Could you test this too ?

I will test it also, although I didn’t use wlan, as I have a USB3-to-ethernet adapter for the second network-interface.

from the picture you’ve posted i conclude you using AD account provider, right?

While writing this pristine samba is being complied after which a new nethserver-dc package will be created.
If the build is succeeds it could be uploaded it to testing… If you up for it you can be the guinea-pig to test it… (otherwise i’d keep the package back 'till time-found to install it myself…)

1 Like

@mark_nl what’s going on with the ARM builds?

Can we release an ISO for arm 7.7 or just some commands to update existing systems?

Are we going straight to version 8 for ARM, as upstream dictated?