Any ideas how to assign webtop as my default mail on Windows 10?

Hello Team,

I’m working on a new task whereby I’m ensuring each of our Windows workstations in our office have an easy way to send screenshots for support purposes. Our staff aren’t all that tech savvy so I’m trying to make this easy for them to use. I’m hoping this very helpful community can point me in the right direction based on your shared experiences on what tools/processes might work best. . :slight_smile:

My requirements are kind of loose but so far what I’m hoping to accomplish are:

1. When a screenshot is taken the operator has the option to save the screenshot to a folder in Nextcloud. I’ve heard of an app called ShareX. Has anyone here tried ShareX to achieve this? Or is there another tool I can use instead?

2. The second option would be to have the operator choose to send the screenshot in a email as an attachment by pressing a button in the screenshot app that would open Chrome to our Webtop login page. I’ve looked into how to set Webtop (in Chrome) as my default mail program on Windows 10 but so far I can’t see if this is even possible. I would be fine if the screenshot app will either use the Windows 10 default Mail app to open Chrome to our Webtop login…or the screenshot app will open Chrome to the login page of our Webtop. Either way I think would work.

Any leads people may have on how to achieve the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

@greavette

Hi Charles!

Even for me, it’s hard to picture a browser as a default mail app…

But why not use the built in Mail App - or Thunderbird, for that matter - just as a imap capable “sending” App? - The sent mail will end up in the IMAP sent structure, and is shown in Webtop as expected…

It could be sent to the user - for commenting and forwarding, whatever your workflow may require…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Andy. Appreciate your input.

I’m not using any fat mail apps in our office. The scenario we have is this:
Upstairs where our Admin staff are they all use Webtop and mail daily.
Our operators float between workstations and 99% of them do not use mail. Each Windows workstation logs in automatically and the operators float between each workstation where special machines are attached to each workstation for their task. Mail is not one of the apps they ever use as they do their daily work.
But our team lead or our managing director may need to step in and investigate an issue with a workstation and this is where a screenshot is required. They both have mail accounts setup for them on Webtop. I don’t want a mail app installed on each workstation as again our operators do not use mail. I don’t want a mail app left “Opened” on each workstation as this invites misuse. We need to have mail secured by account using a login. Our team lead and managing director each have mail accounts on Webtop. If they need to visit a workstation for an issue they can open webtop and attach the screenshot. I know I can have them easily save the screenshot to the workstation and then attach the screenshot to a webtop message. As surprising as this sounds…they often lose where the screenshot was saved (even though I’ve told them where to find it). For now I have a shortcut on the desktop to the folder where the screenshots are saved but I was thinking if there was a way to make this process a little more “slick” I may as well try.

So that’s the backstory of why I’m doing what I’m doing. I have ways to solve this myself…but was curious if anyone out there in Nethserver Forums has found a way that may be interesting to try.

Thanks!

@greavette

Just as Info and idea:
There used to be a “DOS” Mail prog from MS, and - it was to some extent extremly usable in Batch scripts… There even was a version for Exchange…
Maybe a simple batch and something like this would be sleek enough to send screenshots - without any FAT client or bloat…
I did use this in the past…

Another Option would be to map the screenshot folder to a SMB Mounted Share…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Would a simple file share accomplish the same feat of a central repository location for screen shots that all defined terminals can access/save to circumventing the need for immediate email on each workstation? At the managers discretion they then can sort/filter/file said screen shots to where they need to go.

2 Likes

So this would be a file share from each windows VM to an smb mounted share into Nextcloud. Yes I think that could work.

What screenshot apps/tools do you or @Andy_Wismer like to use?

I’ve used snippet (since it’s already on all Windows 10) and in the past I’ve used faststone (when it was free).

Thanks!

@greavette

On Windows, I have several clients using the “Printscreen” App, but I need to look up the actual name / source site…

Works with pressing the Printscreen Button…
Exists since XP times…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Just as an FYI you can have both a mounted SMB share to your Windows 10 machines & have that very same SMB share accessible via Nextcloud.

1 Like

And define a “Workflow” in NC involving new files in that share… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@greavette

This here:

https://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmmm, what are you thinking regarding a workflow? You have me curious…I’ve not used workflows yet.

@greavette

Traditionally, LARGE Enterprises and Companys use systems like CRM (Customer Relationship Management), DMS (Document Management System) and TTS (Trouble Ticket System), often integrated with the telephone system PBX (To make sure all calls from / to clients also end up in the CRM!).

→ Nowadays, also available to SME users, thanks to a lot of open source…

All these systems work “hand in hand” (Ideal case, theoretically)… :slight_smile:

On top of these systems, “Workflows” are defined…

Typical Example: In Company purchases and OK system.
Hardware requirements are sent to procurement, after being OKed by whatever manager is responsible for that segement of business…

Typical is the use of “Roles”, not “Users”, similiar to using groups as permission for shares, not users… This way, it does not matter who has the role of “Procurement” or “Dept-Manager” in the example above.

In your case:

:slight_smile:

See also:

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

On Windows 10 for a snippet of the screen press : Windows-Key + shift + s

1 Like

Hi @Andy_Wismer,

I should rephrase…I do know what workflows are. And I have used the PDF Flow command with tags to automatically create PDF files. But I was curious about your comment:

And define a “Workflow” in NC involving new files in that share

What would be the workflow you were thinking of with regards to the share nextcloud folder that would house the screenshots we place inside?

Thank you.

@greavette

Hi

You could place the screenshots in an “emphasized” folder so the manager can handle / prioritize it…

Or more, depending on further escalation (eg Notifications)…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Thanks @Andy_Wismer

Somewhat late to the party Charles, but you did ask about Sharex. I’ve been using it as my screenshotter for years and couldn’t live without it now!

Having said that, I would likely be only using 1/4 of its capability. It is extremely powerful and highly configurable. Yes, you can auto dump into a shared or nextcloud folder or setup a number of auto custom upload options married to various key combinations or tasks. The settings are then easy to export/import if you want to deploy to many (json).

It can be a little overwhelming when you first look at all the options, but well worth it.

Klaus

2 Likes