AI Software Engineer

Devin AI: Something emerging in the news this week related to AI and solving software engineering problems. Created by an Startup but unaware of licensing, closed/open code…
A companion tool for devs or an opportunity to cut jobs for some Human Resources department?

1 Like

Currently AI is seen more as HR cutting tool. At least, by my perception for corporate environments.

Personally I would see it more as a tool in devs/users pocket to resolve tedious tasks more quickly, but can also see the potential for cutting jobs (not talking about this tool only), for instance some graphic designers jobs come to mind.

But asking some questions to AI assistants the answers were completely wrong (couldn’t interpret what a text said, giving the opposite answer). Maybe the instructions I gave were not precise enough :roll_eyes:

My “personal” issue with using AI tools is… how deal the thing with copyright and secrecy/confidentiality?
Providing code, input or any other thing to AI tools could lead to some copyright infringment about the “closed source”. So.

Developer A, from a company Y, use AI to solve small problem of coding that cannot figure out.
Developer D, from project W, use the same AI tool, for solving another problem, and the tool provide the same kind of output.

Company Y, looking for some code, find on project W the code, which might be “close enough”. So file a copyright complain.
That could lead to very impredictable results…

Indeed.
I remember microsoft’s github copilot raised some licensing questions taking profit of many developers code hosted on github.

Ai in coding seem to be good with prompts like, format this, remove comma in each line, replace with : and variable name.

This sure does save time, than going one by one for hundreds of records.

We can activate an AI plugin for this community as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

For doing what?

I think it was for training copilot with code from developers

But the only question we are interested in is: Can it make us coffee?

3 Likes

I believed Alessio was wishing for an AI bug hunter.
For coffee… sorry. Integralism time.

this

or this; anything else are a plastic/tissue discarders mock-ups to me, AI powered or not.

1 Like

I’ll take the dual-core below!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Greedy coffee junkie… you like the good stuff, uh-uh?

:smirk:

The only form of Java I like: comes in real beans!

:slight_smile:

The other day, I saw for the first time in my life a 8-core toaster…

8 pieces in multitasking!

So someone is working on replicating it in the open:

2 Likes