Advice on mail within nethserver

NethServer Version: NethServer release 7.3.1611 (final)

I’m a refugee from Zentyal and I think I’ve finally found a home in nethserver. The domain I setup today was done quickly and very easily. I’m liking a lot of what I see within nethserver so far with the other apps available for install.

Before I found nethserver I created our mail server in ClearOS. I had hoped that ClearOS would allow me to create a server for our office for mail and domain but I was never successful in setting up a domain that worked in ClearOS. Despite that I needed a mail server and did so in Zarafa on ClearOS.

Now that I’m finding nethserver to be just amazing, I’m looking at mail servers on nethserver. I’m hoping this community can point me in the right direction:

1. It seems nethserver has 3 options for mail - WebTop, Roundcube and SOGO. I’ve been reading and it seems that SOGO is not the darling it once was in nethserver so I think that Webtop is the new preferred mail server. Is this a true statement?
  2. Zarafa has been really good for us (we previously used Thunderbird but our office staff hated it and love Zarafa). Is WebTop a good replacement for Zarafa. We’re a small office so our needs are not complicated. We have one main mail address managed by our secretary. The owners of the company are delegates of this main mail address so I would need the same functionality in WebTop so the owners can manage their own mail and have access from their mail GUI to the main mailbox as well. We have shared addressbook used for all mail addresses. And we have many shared folders where we move mail into. The shared folders are accessible from all employees that use mail. We don’t use tasks or calendars. Last requirement is it would be nice if WebTop is accessible from a smart phone (either browser or we can push the mail to our smartphones).
  3. Is there a WebTop forum available for me to ask questions about using WebTop? Specifically I’m looking for assistance or pointers on how I would be able to move all my mail and folders and contacts out of Zarafa into WebTop.

I’m looking forward to staying within nethserver and removing unnecessary servers in our small office (like Zentyal and ClearOS and NextCloud) and having it all on one nethserver. :slight_smile:

Thank you in advance for any advice, pointers, help you can provide.

2 Likes

Good to know man! Glad to see you at home. I will try quickly answer all your doubts

1. We’re working hard on WebTop as groupware solution, we still continue to help other developers in endeavoring the integration of alternative solutions.
  2. As far as I know, it isn’t straightforward integrate Zarafa on NethServer. Delegation is a Webtop’s feature too
  3. Of course, you can ask here WebTop whatever you need

I feel obligated to suggest you start several topics on your issues and expectations so we can tackle them appropriately.

1 Like

Hello Alessio,

Thanks very much for this reply. I think I’m going to like it here at nethserver family. :slight_smile:

I’ll take you up on your suggestion to start several topics to flush out my use cases and hopefully what I learn here from the forum will be of use to others.

Thanks!

1 Like