Advice on how to enable SSO for Nextcloud when using Nethserver as my AD

NethServer Version: 7.8.2003
Nextcloud: 19.0.0

Hello @support_team,

I’ve installed Nextcloud on my Nethserver. Both are kept fully up to date.
I have enabled my Nethserver to be my domain and our users login to their desktops and Nextcloud using their domain credentials.

I have two workstations where we have enabled autologin using the domain credentials for the users created for each workstation. These 2 workstations use a generic ID as our staff who use them will float between them often during the day and it’s a hindrance to workflow to have staff logout and log back in when they need to use the workstation. Both workstations are blocked from Internet Access by our Unified Threat Managed Router.

what I would like to have in place is the ability for Nextcloud to auto open based on the logged in generic user I use to auto login to the workstations and not require our staff to put in a username and password.

Would SSO on Nextcloud provide this ability?
If SSO is my answer I need, can someone provide the configuration settings I would need on my Nextcloud SSO to use my Nethserver Domain?

Thank you.

@greavette

Hi Charles

If using any halfway current browser, the solution is MUCH simpler…

Put the Browser in Autostart of the Desktop.
Open the Browser, and set the default start page to your Nethserver, login there with the “generic” user, and save the password locally…

I think you’ll find that the Browser opens directly into Nextcloud… :slight_smile:

If using Firefox, this works for me…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Thank you Andy for this reply. Yes this does solve my usecase and provide for me what I need.

But what if I wanted to have my other staff also auto login to their Nextcloud and these staff need to update their password each 45 days. Could SSO be used to achieve this whereby staff could open nextcloud and not need to enter their credentials.

Thank you.

@greavette

Hi Charles

Actually, this would work for several users, provided they use their own windows login. They would need to enter their password in once in nextcloud (also saving it).
Every 45 days, they’d need to update the firefox saved password (ie, log in again with new password, and updating the saved password.

SSO would not really help you, as browsers are not generally SSO capable, AFAIK…

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes

Hello @Andy_Wismer, You make some very good points. I agree that SSO probably isn’t what I want to use then. It would be easier for me to teach people how to use Chrome and update their passwords when needed.

Thank you!

1 Like