Adding Shared Folder using custom mount point

NethServer Version: 7.7.1908
Module: File Server 4.5.3

I recently added a new 1TB drive to my nethserver and would like to use that as my samba shared folders drive.

I already have 3 shared folders in /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/ but that folder is on my /dev/sda2 my new drive and partition is on /dev/sdc/

I tried editing /etc/samba/smb.conf but the file says not to update it since it will be regenerated

Can someone help please?

1 Like

Hi & Welcome to the NethServer community!

The easiest way would be to create the shares needed in the cockpit / server-manager, than move over your shares (folders), then make a symlink pointing to your new disk in /var/lib/nethserver/ibays…

My 2 cents
Andy

wouldnt moving the shares cause permission issues? also how would moving the folder affect the cockpit/server-manager.

Is there a guide on how to accomplish this?

Thanks ffor the quick answer btw

@pk198105

Hi

It shouldn’t affect either cockpit or server manager…

Use mv to move the shares. Perms should stay the same. (It’s still the same server, drive is also mounted under / somewhere… :slight_smile:
I’ve used this very often, never had issues.

My 2 cents.
Andy

2 Likes

Thank you I will give it a try with dummy folder

Again thanks for the help

Always a good idea, also a backup or snapshot, if running virtual, is also always a good idea

1 Like

It worked thank you so much!

@pk198105

Hi

Welcome!

PS: Add in Solution (you’re the opener of this post/problem…) to your Post on top, so others with a similiar problem can find & solve their problem…

Thx
Andy

1 Like

Also, once you have mounted the drive, you can use the UI to reset all the permissions to match what you set for the share.

Also you are not moving the shares. You are just creating a link from the ibay to the mounted disk.

Cheers.

2 Likes