Adding a FQDN to replace an IP address using https

NethServer Version: 7.9
Module: your_module webserver

I am simply trying to change the log in from the ip address to name.mydomain.com. I have done that part easily, but i get the browser warnings about it not having a certificate. The strange thing is that it got an A rating from ssl labs for the two domains i have set up so far, the other one for nextcloud.mydomain.com and i can log into nextcloud with issues. I have added a trusted domain for next cloud but i am kind of stuck for the other one. I try to avoid using ip addresses, and i can see the power of this server as we run many different web servers, and we run them all off this webserver instead. If someone could give me a hint, that would be most excellent.

Hi @koolandrew

Sounds to me like you’re not using LetsEncrypt, but some commercial, pais for certificate.
Using LE, the server also gets a correct SSL cert, and no warnings!
LE can cover several domains on NethServer using Aliases.
And it’s free, also more secure than commercial SSL certs (Changed the code basis every 3 Months automatically is better than once a year!).

My 2 cents
Andy

Note:
The LE cert needs to be set as default!

From my Home Server:

1 Like

Hi Andy, great names think alike…lol

Anyways, i had the same hostname listed 3 times and the nextcloud listed as well. I got rid of two of them and the next cloud one, and voila it was all fixed.

Thanks for the quick reply.

1 Like

Sorry, i was incorrect. When i click on the button for the webserver, i stick get all those browser warnings when it goes to port 9090. Is there a workaround for that, not the end of the world, just annoying. thanks

Just logout from cockpit and wait a bit. The daemon is restarted after 90 seconds of inactivity, then it picks up the new cert on next start.

3 Likes

Giacomo…you couldnt be more correct. Its all good now, thx

1 Like