Add a user to the sudoers

With sudo you can delegate some users to run specific commands (even with a list of valid parameters) with root privileges.

Correct if I’m wrong: you’re trying to give root access to a specific user, not to delegate some tasks with sudo.
In this case, giving the power to become root is a matter of adding a user to the wheel group.

This is the upstream doc: Chapter 6. Gaining Privileges Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 | Red Hat Customer Portal

2 Likes

It is the correct procedure, but I’m afraid both CLI commands (i.e. usermod, lusermod, samba-tool) and the UI cannot add to wheel (a group defined by /etc/group) an user coming from LDAP or AD.

We could set (as opt-in) “domain admins” (or any other group in LDAP or AD) as a “wheel” equivalent, though. We have the admins key in configuration DB…

2 Likes

yes the purpose is to gain/delegate root access. Imagine I ssh a server to fix/search a bug, I might need privileged accesses and rights but momently, not forever :slight_smile:

Ideally I prefer the sudo rights for a ‘baby’ administrator, you could hope that he’ll forget the sudo before to do ‘rm -rf /var/lib/nethserver’

1 Like

‘rm -rf /var/lib/nethserver’ is not as much fun as rm -rf / :innocent:

1 Like

Linux is an adult now…you cannot do it anymore…you need to give more arguments :slight_smile:

1 Like

Never understimate idiots :wink:

2 Likes

Or bad luck

1 Like

Or argue with them - they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience…

3 Likes

I agree, we could automatic five sudo access to admins.
Or, as an alternative, we can create an ad-hoc group.

@bwdjames you can solve your problem like this (not tested):

1. create a group powerusers in Users & Groups page
  2. add one ore more user to the group
  3. create a sudo file like this:
echo "%powerusers	ALL=(ALL)	ALL" > /etc/sudoers.d/90powerusers
chmod 440  /etc/sudoers.d/90powerusers
4 Likes

Will give it a try later this evening or tomorrow, schedule over booked last night and today

1 Like

@giacomo I can confirm that this works and is a very good solution to have in the documents somewhere.

1 Like

Should I add it to the developer manual or would you like to try to open a pull request on the readme file?

just my 2C question. Is it possible to get a sudo group, created by the rpm, and add users when it is needed in this group. An automatic task is interesting, a RTFM solution could be quite boring

This is not possible on NS 7 because you don’t know where accounts are stored, locally on a LDAP or even on a remote Microsoft Active Directory.

2 Likes

So “root” account for management is not member of groups?

The “root” user is member only of the root group itself.

So there are groups on server :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp::smiling_imp:.
This means that should be possible to create another group… the sudoers. :laughing:

1 Like

do you think your solution is workable if the account provider is remote ?

answering myself : yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Cockpit users see an error instead of values