A 32-bit build of Nethserver?

(Tadvrat) #1

It would be great if there is a 32-bit version of Nethserver available. I have some 32-bit m/cs with me. It would be put to some great use!

Can I install Nethserver on 32 bit CentOS 6.6?
(Davide Principi) #2

Yeah, it would be great but it would take some time. Maybe not so much, as the greatest part of RPMs are noarch. But once the arch-dependant packages are ready they must be maintained.

Who is available for this long-term task?

The Building RPMs documentation and nethserver-mock package are the starting points.

(Mark Edworthy) #3

A 32 bit version, sounds interesting, how about a ARM based version for low powered NAS boxes?

(Davide Principi) #4

@medworthy, if i386 is great, ARM is wonderful :smile:

Same question: who is available to maintain the architecture specific RPMs as a long-term task?

(Stéphane de Labrusse) #5

santa claus ?

For centos7, only 64bit are available, so it is time to write a letter to santa and ask some mobo/processor in 64 bit.

(Alessio Fattorini) #6

Ahahah you’re killing me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Michele Bortolotto) #7

http://seven.centos.org/2015/03/centos-linux-7-and-arm/ only fedora has an arm porting till now

(Dave Land) #8

I can relate to a need for a 32 bit version because I had a perfectly good IBM e-Server x-345 that I had to retire because it doesn’t support x64 architectures. :stuck_out_tongue: Anyway, all is good now because I got rid of my problematic SME-Server 9.0 that I could not get phpmyadmin to install for anything. Seems to be a common issue with others there too. I ended up building up an AMD64 x2 machine with more RAM and twice the storage space just to get rid of SME, and get Nethserver installed. After a few minor caveats, it’s ticking along nicely now. :smile: Granted there are still some things I’d like to see changed with the installer, but that’s for another topic. :wink:

Dave Land
Land Computer Service

(Stéphane de Labrusse) #9

Well curious that you have problem with phpmyadmin on sme server, it is my top ten downloaded software. You have also here a module in nethforge concerning phpmyadmin, let me know if you have issues or enhancements

(Dave Land) #10

Actually it worked fine until I upgraded from 8.1 to 9.0. Then for some reason they moved the repository for phpmyadmin somewhere else and I could never get the GPG-KEYS to work properly to allow me to get it. That plus SpamAssassin seemed to be almost non-functional in Ver. 9, as my spam mail was more than 3 times worse than before. Between those issues and several minor ones, I finally decided it was time to take the plunge and try something new.

So far, Nethserver seems to work really well aside from a couple (self-induced) problems, which are now fixed, and the minor installer issues that I pointed out in the Features section. I’m sure they’ll probably be addressed in future releases. Kudos to all you guys for a job well done, and for listening to your users!

Dave Land
Land Computer Service