2 connections (ISPs) into 1

good day people, i have been away for a very long time but im back. Is it possible to combine 2 internet (ISPs) connections to one to get double the speed?

Theoretically… No.
Practically, you can have a bit more (sometimes… much more) bandwidth, but not double the input/output of a single TCP/UDP session/connection.

Unless you have your own ASN and owned IP address, then you do a BGP session.
The best thing in your case is implement load balancing. Simple. But not possible to have double speed

If load balancing is what you are looking for, is quite easy in nethserver! :slight_smile:

thanks guys… please take a look at the this video and let me know what you think…

The guy manages its own VPS, (which in any case sould have x4 the bandwidth of the single ISP connection) and “its own” firewall, bonding the interfaces.
AFAIK

• currently bonding interfaces should not be part of the options on NethServer, unless if made by the interfaces adapter drivers. And you should configure NethServer for use the bonded interface, not the phisical one
  • also, bonding interfaces should not be part of the options of NethServer, therefore any update of configuration of one of the service could broke anything built above the bonded interfaces. Mostly the OpenVPNs one.
  • usually the “fast and simple” way to speedup ISP connection is… buy a better one and often is not cheap, unless your current ISP is not too expensive (but this may be a quite articulated and definitevely not technical question)

Therefore…
If you want more bandwith using one more ISP, NethServer can help you to balancing traffic among them, but this won’t double your download “speed”, unless the protocol/application/software you’re using is capable of multi-point connection for traffic delivery (back and forth).
Also, don’t forget that if you don’t make available among both connection the services (not explained there) part of the services won’t correctly take advantage of the second connection.

One more thing.
I wrote “which in any case sould have x4 the bandwidth of the single ISP connection”, I will try to explain why.

Current case

You
ISP 1 === VPS ==== Rest of the net
VPS must have 2x ISP performance for allow you the full use of the bandwidth

Case possible 1 (not ideal) VPS with 2x your ISP band
You
| ISP 1 === VPS ---- Rest of the net
| ISP 2 === VPS
In this case you have double the bandwidth to your VPS, but… it has not enough network tranport capabilities to receive your data from both your ISP and forward them to Internet. Then your connection will be… slower
Case possible 2 (not ideal) VPS with 3x your ISP band

| ISP 1 === VPS === Rest of the net
| ISP 2 === VPS
In this case you have double the bandwidth to your VPS, but… it has not enough network transport capabilities to receive your data from both your ISP and fully forward it to Internet. Then your connection will be… the same with 1 ISP

Case possible 3 (nice, not the best) VPS with 4x your ISP band
| ISP 1 === VPS === Rest of the net
| ISP 2 === VPS === Rest of the net
In this case, you have the same amount of bandwith between your site and the VPS, and VPS to the rest of internet. You could sometimes achieve double performance, in certain conditions.

Hoping my “crappy” explaination is useful to you.

1 Like

thank you so mush for taking the time to explain… I have a better understanding.