1 interface - publicly routeable

Hello, I am looking to deploy Nethserver as an e-mail server with subscription for updates.

The server only has one interface that will be publicly routeable. I guess it would be both red and green interface? What would be the best way to deploy from a security perspective? It’s probably not a good idea to have port 9090 or 980 facing the internet…

Feedback is much appreciated.

@monk

Hi Jeb

Welcome to the NethServer community!

See this here, specially about “hosted” servers…
https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=virtual_network_interface&s[]=dummy

If any issues, problems or questions, don’t hesitate to ask!
Our Motto here is: The Only stupid questions are the ones Not asked!

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Thank you Andy. This is helpful. Seems like a possibility, before I try what you suggested, what about this, add a second interface, publicly routable but behind a firewall to the internet:

2.2.2.2 - red interface - open to the internet for mail ports
2.2.2.20 - green interface - behind a firewall - for management interface

Would this work?

They might share the same subnet. In this case, the answer i no.
In any case, via Cockpit you can limit the pubblic ip addresses which can access to 9090 port.

Hello Pike, I believe I tried this, there is no way to limit Cockpit on Nethserver from the webinterface. I don’t recall the details, it was over a month ago.

I wish you could reconsider that…

It works only on RED interfaces, and NethServer must have a Green interface. Which could also be dummy…

1 Like

Pike, indeed I was wrong, you can. I think what I was trying to do is at the firewall level limit access to Cockpit to a subnet, which was not possible, something to do with systemd/green interface.

Nonetheless I like the idea or red/green, it’s just I’m limited to the setup of the network of my environment and I have to play within the rules.

Further to article that Andy was suggesting, this installation would be on a self hosted hypervisor, our network uses publicly routeable addresses.

How about this:

2.2.2.2/255.255.255.0 - red interface - open to the internet for mail ports
2.2.22.20/255.255.255.0 - green interface - behind a firewall - for management interface

I don’t believe it should matter if both are on the same VLAN…?

Thank you Michael and Andy.

I don’t suggest to put the interfaces on the same vLAN but it might work.
Also, you can limit the access to Cockpit from selected IP after the complete setup.

1 Like

This works and is the best way. The green network is behind the nethserver firewall and the red is reachable from internet. But like @pike wrote I would also use a vlan. I think without it could be a security risk.

@monk

Hi Jeb

I’d strongly suggest to use a “public” IP as RED, but use a “private” network for GREEN.

IE:

RED = 2.2.2.2/24
GREEN = 192.168.2.1/24

Note:
Even if using a “private”, non Internet routable IP address, any server you want on that network can still be reachable from the Internet. This is where NAT / Port Forwarding comes in.

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like