We must organize the doc

Any ideas what the difference is between GNU Free Doc License 1.3 and CreativeCommons Licenses??

CC are customisable the former not

Reading here, I couldn’t understand it. But I’m not a lawyer.
https://tldrlegal.com/license/gnu-free-documentation-license
https://tldrlegal.com/license/creative-commons-attribution-share-alike-(cc-sa)

1 Like

The first How-To has been added :smile:

http://www.nethserver.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=tips_to_create_how-to_s

BR
Bogdan

3 Likes

Howto make NethServer OS X Friendly is wikified in two pages.

I need to improve the Avahi page, lack lot of details cause of the Nethserver package, I will ehance with ports already open, and so on.

I need to place a capture in the wiki in the second page
 Howto do this? I don’t have enought rights to do this :grin:

Should we add a link to the Discourse thread?

1 Like

please retry now, it should be good

we shared this night with @Ctek and @robb on IRC and we have some proposals that the community should accept or refuse
I added other personal ideas also

a) a registration must be approved by an admin for editing the wiki

After a registration an email is sent to the admin for the request approval, then the user is first in the @user group (read only), when it is set in the @member group, he can edit the wiki (read,edit,create,upload rights). The purpose is to avoid to see someone does a registration, only to do a mess

@giacomo what about of this ?

b) author name in the howto page

We know that people loves his ego and certain but not all would love to see their name at the top of the page. But with a wiki, it makes no sense to see a name, since many others can add their knowledge to the page
be quiet gentlemen
your ego will be saved in two ways

the original author has his name in the page when it is created
the history keeps tracks of all edits

c) version and date of document

same as above the history keeps tracks, keep KISS

start of stephdl’s Idea

d) markdown

markdown is compatible, but the headers won’t do the TOC (table of content), you should change your header by the dokuwiki ways

====== Master Header ======
=====sub hearder =====
====sub sub header ====

lower headers won’t grow the TOC

e) think about categories

we can tag with many categories the wiki page, see already existing tags

For example Instead of writing the level of a howto (Easy,Medium,Advanced,Developer) we could use the tag plugin and retrieve easily all pages with a specific tag

a think tank about categories could be nice.

f) GNU Free Doc License 1.3

regarding this

for my point of view the GNU Free Doc License is better and more adapted to a wiki

@alefattorini can you split this topic

5 Likes

It’s ok now for uploading pictures :wink:

Perhaps no need to be aproved by an admin, but to be howto team, dev team, or silver level
 Something like this.

1 Like

Totally agree.

And the translations? :wink:
@jgjimenezs Still have not tried Transifex Live. What recourse do you think is convenient to use?.

a.) I agree with @stephdl that the admin will approve first before you can write or change.

b.) Regarding the author name. Do you have in mined the real name or the avatar name?

e.) The tag solution sounds good for me.
If you mean ‘think tank’ I support is as well.

1 Like

there is a translation plugin but from my experience, the only limitation is the human side, because quickly the english howto grows, and the translated howto waits.

@giacomo can you add the code in the template, please, see plugin:translation [DokuWiki]

3 Likes

look yourself after the recent change :slight_smile: the name is the login name in dokuwiki

yes corrected :slight_smile:

I don’t think there is a gateway between discourse and dokuwiki.

It might be useful to see the source and the discussion about

Added inside the default template, just at the bottom of the sidebar.

I totally agree on points: b,c,e,f.
But I don’t have any preference on wiki syntax (point d).

About the point a (admin approval for edit permissions), we can simply create a group of 2 or 3 people from the howto team.

Some personal opinions:

• We have to choose a theme. Which one? I’d like to use the standard dokuwiki theme with little modification
    (remove shadow, add NethServer colors like the site) so it’s easy to maintain
  • We need to choose a domain for the wiki: wiki.nethserver.org?
  • The wiki should contain howtos like “How to install xxx software on NethServer”. But when a document
    became very relevant, I would like to “make it official” by moving it inside the manual
  • I think translation on the wiki it’s really really time consuming. If you look to other projects (Ubuntu, Fedora),
    translated pages in the wiki are not often up to date (and they have a big number of contributors!)
  • At last we should spend a little time to remove all the content from dev.nethserver.org wiki and move it to the new wiki or developer manual
  • I also would like to give SSH access to the dokuwiki installation at least to one community member beside the dev team

I like very very much that many people are involved in this documentation effort, and maybe dokuwiki is not the best tool in the world, but it seems to fit most of our needs.

After we have decided the few remaining open points, I would like to give an official go to the new wiki.
Anyone have other thoughts? @filippo_carletti @alefattorini @davidep?

2 Likes

@apradoc I’m using transifex

1 Like
  • Theme: this is a personal choice. My choice would be to use writr, just because it looks a LOT better (IMO) than default docuwiki template. I understand that going for default will litmit maintenance, but making the wiki more attractive with a nice template is (again IMO) a pro.

• wiki.nethserver.org sounds good to me. Make it https only?

• agreed on moving “very relevant” documents to the official docs.

• Agreed on having wiki 100% English. We do not have (yet) enough members to maintain translations. Keep in mind that having old and deprecated documents is worse than having no documents.

• I am not aquainted enough with dev.nethserver.org wiki to have an opinion on this

• If there is a community member with the skills and is willing to make the effort to help maintaining the wiki, I agree on this.

I absolutely agree that the wiki should be a community effort, not a single or small group effort. Every member in the community should feel that the wiki is ‘his or her little baby’. It will create a bigger community sense if the wiki is for everyone to contribute to and to use.

3 Likes

It’s personal choice
 I’m not totally agree:

• it’s our choice because we can choose between 3 templates.
  • this choice have consequences
 For exemple with the simplifiedbootstrap there’s no left menu!!! So the navigation is not so easy

Edit: For me, the default template has the least flaws.

Thanks @jgjimenezs . I saw that and I joined the team. Precisely this is why I ask if used Transifex LIVE, which is a relatively new service https://www.transifex.com/live/

And suddenly I thought Transifex Live by a similar concern to which we refer brother @robb

I have time I’ve worked with Transifex but I have not dared, full, to try LIVE :persevere: