The NethServer End User Dashboard

Exactly @malvank , for what is my personal experience SME customers in 99% of cases are in one of these two situations:
Scenario A - just one machine with NethServer installed with server and firewall roles
Scenario B - two machines both with NethServer installed one with firewall role and one with server role

So the NethServer End User Dashboad should be a monitor tool for a non admin user (the owner or a manager) to monitor some tasks and/or situation to be proactive, or to be indipendent when he/she wants to have a report on demand o check for an incoming email.

I agree that SMB “Small medium Businesses” are in the scenario that you describe but not necessary SME “Small medium Enterprises”. The difference for me is that SMB is a small business more like home users and SME are small businesses with needs like enterprises. The scenarios i have are the SME can have 2-3 satellite sites and they have development environments with high security demands. They can easily have 1-2 server in DMZ and 2-3 server on the lan. In those scenarios it would be very good if the Dashboard would collect information from all servers.

I would say the Dashboard solution should be defined after the research (if not already done) by defining what an average SME installation looks like? After that is done it’s much easier do decide if there should be 1 or 2 solutions for the dashboard? In my opinion there should only be 1 solution to maintain and it has to be able to scale to the amount of servers that is defined from the SME environment because this will solve the need for the community server solution as well.

1 Like

I like this, do you think that could be an improvement of the actual Dashboard? Or an alternative one?
That’s not a user Dashboard, imho it’s an administrator dashboard, like existent, but with a lot of additional and aggregate data.
Do you agree?
Show all of this data without any auth I don’t think it’s a good idea

2 Likes

Hi guys

I think we should split this topic in:

• The NethServer End User Dashboard (this)
  • Improvements for NethServer Adminstrator Dashboard (new one)

Naturally, the second title could be improved the first one is perfect :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Are you in agree with me @malvank @alefattorini or I’m wrong?

1 Like

Agreed! Let’s split! @sitz you can use “reply as a linked topic” function

I agree let’s split it. I’m on vacation with very bad wifi so my responses can be late.

@sitz Any new progress with the dashboards that I missed?

Unfortunately nothing new @malvank

Do you still want to move forward with this? Please use “Reply as linked Topic” function

I think a dashboard could be useful for all users. Currently users need to enter example.com/server-manager to change their password and example.com/sogo to access their groupware. It would be nice if https://example.com launched a logon that would have all the user accessible modules listed. So a non-administrator would go to the company website and be presented with a logon prompt. After authenticating the user would get a menu of tasks based on the user’s rights. Example below.
Welcome to the ABC Company Webpage
Check E-mail
Manage Profile
Access your files
Send a Fax

1 Like

Yes, looks like a user portal, right? But it sounds pretty different from @sitz suggestions, right?

Yes you are right @alefattorini

It’s time for me to lead back the game…

1 Like

What do you think to that idea, extend the actual dashboard with your suggestions and give to a user (your non-administrator) the permission to see just such dashboard?

I like the idea of the user dashboard.

1 Like

Hi @WillZen have you any idea or suggestion to give us to start making something such as a draft analisys?

@sitz What do you understand under draft analysis?

From my understanding we have two situation for the user.

1. One front-end to do all settings, FAX and data.
  2. User with more right to see information about the status of the server.

I would propose that the admin can decide which information the user can see. Maybe one user should check if everything is ok during the absence of the administrator. And the owner wish to see the status of the server.

@WillZen I mean: start to write something that helps a developer to create something.

Since I have created this post I think to it a lot, maybe too much.
Many things are clear in my mind many others not.

Firt of all the title:“NethServer End User Dashboard” maybe we should split this concept in

1. NethServer Monitoring/Supervisioning Dashboard
    Real time view of some server activities

2. NethServer User Dashboard
    Operations a delegated user can do

I’m very interested in concpet No. 1 beacuse in my experience many non IT people asked to me how to see some server activities without too much instructions/steps.

Still remain privacy and security issues to deal with.

1 Like

I am totally agree with you about “NethServer Monitoring/Supervisioning Dashboard - Real time view of some server activities”. It is useful also for admins.

Perhaps the Dashboard could be accessed also as url (from Green). In this case, the users can access only the Dashboard without more privileges or “too much instructions/steps”.

Suggestion:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pEslpDbJ83D1e0hzo1H_Zv3VcioeXSDXeB7Vk3U-74Q/edit?usp=sharing

I agree with the split of the dash board.
The dash board for the user should be clear.

The dash board for NethServer Monitoring/Supervisioning should get a good overview what happen.
From my opinion it should be in:
Collected Graph Pannel
Log files analysis of errors and warnings or/and potential intrusions
Back up status and usage
Disk usage
Memory
Swap
Log files analysis of errors and warnings or/and potential intrusions
Software RAID
Network
etc which could decided by the administrator

The best would be some graphical display of the status like a traffic lights. Green, Yellow, Red.

I thought a little bit further.
The Nethserver is a tool for me. It should work which less effort as possible. The dash board should show the necessary information in that way that I have to spent as less as possible to check the status.

Is it possible to have a light or an info corresponding to the status?
Green -> everything is ok
Yellow -> some warning or we will run out of space, average CPU temperature is higher, etc
Red -> Errors, running out of space, etc.

Than the specific information as listed above.