Some question about E-mail and SOGO

Hi,
I come again to ask you some help (I wish in some day/week I will can contribute and help other user :wink: )

Iā€™ve two question, for our structure, we have a mailbox shared by 3 users, Iā€™ve create a group in server-manager and set shared folders, but they need to create some folders in the shared mailbox and I havenā€™t find how to do ?

Next question Iā€™ve to setup 2 or more mail domain but, but when I do that, the second mail domain become the first domain, so when Iā€™ve send mail with SOGO, itā€™s not the right mail domain (I donā€™t know if you understand itā€™s a bit not so clear in my head)

PS: I really like Nethserver it do a great job on our server, and we will start to communicate about it.

Nope you should see them under a ā€œsharedā€ tree. Do you have subscribed them by imap?

I donā€™t understand what do you mean by subscribe, Iā€™ve create a group with webgui like itā€™s said in the documentation : ā€œstore the message in a shared folder. This option is recommended for large groups receiving big messagesā€.

So on your Thunderbird you should see a folder named ā€œShared -> groupname -> INBOXā€ if you canā€™t see it check the subscription preferences of TB
On SOGo you should see it automatically, if youā€™re member of such group

In SOGo I see it, but I need to create sub folder for the group. I donā€™t know how to explain what Iā€™ve in mind

Nope, you canā€™t do it, itā€™s not supported. Just one folder for each group. Could you explain better your purpose?

Hi, so Iā€™ve 3 users with one mailbox, they work together and need to organize the mail. But Iā€™ve speak with them and they have find a way to work with that. They have created shared folders in SOGo.
Iā€™ve another question, still about mail, how I can modify what is the mail domain by defaults and what domain user can use

On SOGo you can modify existing sender address but you canā€™t add more senders, due to this:
http://www.sogo.nu/bugs/view.php?id=768

Ok I understand, but I had create users when the server have only one domain, and when I added a second domain, the user automatically take the new domain to send mail.

Hi Crazyusb,

I am using Zentyal as multidomain email server.
Also I am testing NethServer as multidomain emailserver, UTM or DC.
Neither with Zentyal or NethServer have not encountered this problem.

I will try tomorrow to reproduce those described by you, using NethServer ofcourse.
I hope I will have time.

Till then, just for checking:

1. when you use Webmail, in browser you type, for one domain: https://mail.domain1.com/sogo

2. username: account.name1@domain1.com; account.name2@domain1.com; ā€¦

3. when you use Webmail, in browser you type, for the other domain: https://mail.domain2.com/sogo

4. username: account.name1@domain2.com; account.name2@domain2.com; ā€¦

Am I right?

3 Likes

Hi Crazyhub,
Hi everybody,

By that which I will write further, I will bring a few corrections to what I wrote in the previous post (was more for Zentyal).

First of all, we must have clear in our mind one thing about NethServer acting like an email server (same as for Zentyal, just for comparison): was build to manage one single domain like mydomain.com (at least till now).

We may have two scenarios:

1. NS as email server for a single domain (maydomain.com).
  2. NS as email server for multiple domains (maydomain1.com, maydomain2.com, ā€¦).

Today I tested the second scenario (System version: NethServer release 6.6 (final); Kernel release: 2.6.32-504.30.3.el6.x86_64; IBM xSeries 346):

1. If we want to use NethServer acting like email server for multiple domains, must know that if we will use SoGO or Roundcube as are integrated now in NS, we will have:

a. For SoGO:

a.1. You cannot login in webmail with email adress (firstname.lastname@maydomayn.com), but only with the user account (firstname.lastname).

a.2. When we want to login in webmail, if you type in browser https://mail.maydomain1.com/sogo and will login with the user account who belong to mydomain1.com, you will be logged to firstname.lastname@maydomayn1.com and you will be able to send emails from this domain (mydomain1.com).

a.3. When we want to login in webmail, if you type in browser https://mail.maydomain2.com/sogo and will login with the user account who belong to another domain (mydomain.com, mydomain1.com, ā€¦), you will be assigned to the first domain created during first login (maydomain.com), just after instalation of the NethServer and can send emails only from this domain (mydomain.com).

a.4. We can have access only at Personal Address Book or at Collected Address Book, not at Domain Address Book (Public LDAP Address Book).

b. For Roundcube:

b.1. You can login in webmail with email adress (firstname.lastname@maydomayn.com), or with only the user account (firstname.lastname).

b.2. When we want to login in webmail, if you type in browser https://mail.maydomain1.com/webmail and will login with the email adress (firstname.lastname@maydomayn1.com) you will be logged to firstname.lastname@maydomayn1.com and you will be able to send emails from this domain (mydomain1.com).

b.3. When we want to login in webmail, if you type in browser https://mail.maydomain1.com/webmail and will login with the email adress who belong to other domain (firstname.lastname@maydomain.com, firstname.lastname@maydomain2.com, ā€¦), you will be assigned to the first domain created during first login (maydomain.com), just after instalation of the NethServer and can send emails only from this domain (mydomain.com).

b.4. When we want to login in webmail, if you type in browser https://mail.maydomain1.com/webmail and will login with the user account who belong to the same domain (maydomain.com1) or to the other domain (maydomain.com, maydomain2.com, ā€¦), you will be assigned to the first domain created during first login (maydomain.com), just after instalation of the NethServer and can send emails only from this domain (mydomain.com).

b.5. The Public LDAP Address Book is available to all account and domains in the same time (no matter how are you logged in).

All this issues may be corrected from config files (SoGO and Roundcube).
I know that because on Zentyal I did some ā€œimprovementsā€.
I tried on NS with SoGO config files (etc/sogo/sogo.conf) but I only managed to activate the password change in webmail.

Honestly, I donā€™t know very well how to do this without ruining everything!

I will further test the NS as the mail server for multiple domains and I will tell you my view on this forum. Perhaps it will be more a wish list.

Kind regards,
Gabriel

you did or youā€™ve found such improvements? could you please clarify?
because, as alessio told in a previous post, SOGo has a bug (that looks like a feature by design) and if in zentyal it is corrected, itā€™d be nice to know howā€¦

and thatā€™s bad and dangerousā€¦
usersā€™ password MUST be changed only via the proper page/procedure.

Hello Stefano,

As I said, Iā€™m using Zentyal like e-mail server for multiple domains.

Because Zentyal isnā€™t designed to be multidomain e-mail server like iRedMail, Axigen, I ā€œdidā€ some ā€œimprovementsā€ according to my needs, looking for ā€œhow toā€ on internet: how to disable Public LDAP Address Book, how to enable ā€œSOGoForceExternalLoginWithEmailā€, how to enable ā€œSOGoPasswordChangeEnabledā€.

The users are free to change their password as long as they are forced to maintain the complexity.
I donā€™t understand why they may not to do this from the Webmail client.
Why you consider that is not secure? That means that the webmail client is not secure?
They use https for login for webmail client as for login on webgui. Is not the same thing? Is the same procedure.

ok, now itā€™s clear to me

itā€™s not a matter of securityā€¦

changing usersā€™ password outside the proper procedure can break your serverā€¦ Iā€™m quite sure it has been explained elsewhere here in the forumsā€¦

please take a look here:

and here:

Hello Stefano,

I read these posts and I understand your concern that you have to safely and security of the server.
I have the same concerns, but please make me understand something, if you donā€™t mind.

From what I understand, if I understand well, username and password are kept in MySQL db.

When you change your password, access the same database, even you change the password from SoGO or Roundcube or from WebGUI.
What is different on the two routes of access to the MySQL db as one to be less proper than the other, since I will safely login on the same server to do this?

I donā€™t want to change anything else than password (not: Name and surname, External mail address, Company, Office, Address, City and frankly, why the user may overwrite those fields set by the administrator?).

Again, we speak about a dedicated e-mail server placed in DMZ (with GREEN NIC with private IP) or even directly connected to the WAN (RED NIC with public IP).

Thank you in advance and I promise that I will accept your explanation and I will not bore you anymore regarding this.

Gabriel

Iā€™m triying to setup room and resources support on sogo, did anyone
achieved that yet? seems that you have to import an ldiff to add schema to
the ldap

thatā€™s whyā€¦ changing your password via webmail could break you r serverā€¦ and no, mysql is not involved at all in users/passwords management

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Gabriel.

Please open a new topic about that keeping current discussion clean