Linux goes to school with NethServer

if you launch ‘mysql’ in a terminal which mysql version is executed ???

I spent hours to launch mysql56 :frowning:

Ok we see where was the first mistake in the proxy configuration.

But we’re still having problems to login to the net.

connect: Network is unreachable

So

Anyone howto config the proxy in NethServer with Proxmox?

We are under one proxy in the building and we can not know how setting the network configuration!!

1 Like

Good morning NS tribe, with the sunrise :sunrise_over_mountains: from Venezuela.

On few days we will have in our taiga knowledge space a post about Nethserver Installation for the School Intranet. like the wiki of Debian Jessie installation

Some content about Nethserver have already been published.

Any suggestions or input is very welcome.

Hugs to the tribe

1 Like

Hi friend.

If i launch ‘mysql’: Server version: 5.1.73 :sob:

I’m working on it

1 Like

What should every newcomer know about NethServer? in this link said @davidep we cant change by hand. So, the question remain. What I can do to configure the NS in proxmox in one ambient with proxy if I only have the basic module of NS and cant install anything yet?

1 Like

I can certify this.

And it is a very inconvenient limiting therefore under the proxy makes testing NS institutional department agreed to test with us .

Any contribution to this publication worth forests , clean air and clean water

I think I can help with custom templates, but I need a recap of the problem and the proposed solution.

1 Like

Well, thanks for u help filippo. The proxmox we have is under one proxy. I know the dns primary and secondary of the network. I have permission to configure the proxy of the proxmox and download anything for anywhere. But I am beginning to work with centos and nethserver. So I dont know where begin to study in order to configure the network in nethserver with proxmox.

1 Like

I’d start from CentOS manuals, NethServer do not change CentOS.
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en/red-hat-enterprise-linux/?version=6

NethServer network configuration is stored in a text-only database called networks, so to store/change a value the command is something like:
db networks setprop eth0 macaddr 11:22:33:44:55:66.
But I usually work/test the CentOS way and only when everything works I change the db if needed.

2 Likes

:thumbsup:

I’ve a dream…

My target are small classrooms (max 20 students).

The dream is based on:

• 1 Nethserserv (minimal) which play the rule of: gateway, account manager, and roaming files (means he has the homes of the students into itself)
  • a client based on Edubuntu iso (remastered and customized to perfectly fit with the previous server)

installation scenario:

install the Netherserv vanilla, adds the necessary modules and replace a backup file (which has all the configurations necessary); on the other part, starts to install the various PC clients using the customized Edubuntu… you may have a classroom ready in half day…

…but I’m newbie and probably this request tons of work.

This could be a “Nethserver starter kit” to the schools…
thanks,
-Mauro

2 Likes

Ok, our solution is not so minimal, but it is modular, so you may disable/remove parts of the system you would not need.

Check, check, check.

Not an ISO, but we boot and install from scratch the clients using PXE booting. Your installation is limited by media on which you may have the ISO: we are using the LAN for the lab and installing 25+ clients all at once.

Yep, we do that :wink: except we are doing it from scratch instead of having already a backup configuration to restore.[quote=“yakman000, post:81, topic:2132”]
This could be a “Nethserver starter kit” to the schools…
[/quote]
That’s what we are trying to make with our project. Again, for the sake of completeness, you may find here all the stuff needed in GNU GPL v3.0.

6 Likes

@apradoc maybe here is the answer to your prayers.

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Web filtering on https connections ( Google searches and Youtube )

The classroom project could be solved by using LTSP, but I think there isn’t a package out yet for NS to use. The homes are stored on a server. You only need to setup your ns server as an dhcp server or backup server. This is something that should or must be included into a school-package. The OS is compiled on the main server and can be edited over a chroot.

Hi Mika,
LTSP can be a sollution in a classroom (together with something like [epoptes](http://www.epoptes.org/ linux only) or iTalc (http://italc.sourceforge.net/ both Windows and Linux)
However, do realize that LTSP needs a lot of resources. Especially RAM. This isn’t a feature that should be glued upon NS just because it looks cool. Although I do like LTSP a LOT, imo running LTSP on an SBS-like server is asking for problems.

2 Likes

You probably know that you can also create fat-clients, where all the stuff runs on the client itself :slight_smile: . Or you can use Raspberry Pis and combine them with pinet (LTSP with Raspis, can be found on the Raspberry Pi download page).

Finally CentOS 6.7 with proxmox VE 4.1. I download the dvd version and when I installed have everything I need to config the proxy. Now I only need to change CentOS in NethServer.

It’s an excellent news for intranets school of Venezuela

I feel identified with this scene

You are a brain, @josean7link :laughing:

1 Like