Installing a pppoe client on NethServer

so there is some crazy how to but still , i think developer improve it :

• yum install rp-pppoe

• . adsl-setup - first login then other could be default then password and 0 at last

• execute this command
    db networks set ppp0 ethernet bootproto dialup NAME DSLppp0 DEVICE ppp0 TYPE xDSL ONBOOT yes PIDFILE /var/run/pppoe-adsl.pid FIREWALL NONE PING . PPPOE_TIMEOUT 80 LCP_FAILURE 3 LCP_INTERVAL 20 CLAMPMSS 1412 CONNECT_POLL 6 CONNECT_TIMEOUT 60 DEFROUTE yes SYNCHRONOUS no ETH eth0 PROVIDER DSLppp0 USER paste your user PEERDNS yes DEMAND no role red

• signal-event interface-update

• edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 and delete TYPE=Ethernet

• ifup ppp0

• you have pppoe that in RED role !

• I’m wierd but still it works !

• You should repeat Step 5-6 after server reboot or make some startup script!
    @zamboni @alefattorini @filippo_carletti @jgjimenezs – help to improve and make it in WEB UI !

3 Likes

I’ll try on a test machine asap

ATM, the only thing I can say about this part

is that:

• using capitalized names/values is wrong; names are ALWAYS lowercase or CamelCase

• you should pubblish in a different way:

db networks set ppp0 ethernet
    bootproto dialup
    name DSLppp0
    device ppp0
    type xDSL
    onboot yes
    pidfile /var/run/pppoe-adsl.pid
    firewall none …

and so on…
moreover, you can store into db any set of data you want, but keys/values are used by fragments/actions/events, so, if a key/value is not present in the code, even if it is sTored, it will ignored

It was late night in Ukraine and it is a draft, but still it works! Who need it could use

@zamboni , AFAIK ethernet entries from the networks db are special and all values are honoured.
I’ll ask @giacomo to confirm this and check this howto.

@Nas, really great work, thank you. I’ll sponsor integrating PPPoE in the base system.

After that modification I should check , does it still workable …

thanks @filippo_carletti for the clarification… I did not read the code that use the networks db values, so I did not judge @nas’ work…

mine was only a pin point: I can do

db accounts setprop mypseudonimn MyProp myvalue

but (as you know) as long as MyProp is not used in any fragment/script (because new/customized) it will be ignored

yes

the syntax with \ at the end of the line is used to break a very loooooong line in many short ones.

:wink:

so for making a template /etc/ppp/chap-secrets and pap-secrets must have :
Secrets for authentication using CHAP
client server secret IP addresses
"fedya" * “123456”

Yes, all values are copied as-is except for the type prop (as correctly reported by @Nas), but all props should be lowercase inside the db (but this haven’t any effect on the generated file).

The howto is good, I just have a couple of notes:

• you don’t need a templates for pap/chap secretes files since there is no application that can override them
  • pppoe connection should be automatically standard at boot (via the network service)

We can add pppoe support inside the core, but creating a web interface will require at least a week of work.
If we want a text-only implementation we can have it in a couple of days.

Greate work @Nas!

Web interface must have PPPOe , crouds of people use pppoe. we could wait more then week but still we need it !Don’t forget that db entry make ethernet TYPE and we need xDSL :slight_smile:

Yep all of my servers use pppoe

Just created a new feature: http://dev.nethserver.org/issues/3218
We will work on this in the next few days.

Thanks to @nas for the howto!

2 Likes

That’s a great news! @mabeleira @ibinetwork what about?

I would test it as well!

1 Like

@giacomo if you set DB networks set ppp0 xdsl so no file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 has created :frowning:

Good News :wink:

Thanks!

I know, you need a patched version of nethserver-base module. The code is on pppoe branch :wink:

1 Like

:checkered_flag: the issue #3218 is now ON_QA!

Who has an ADSL+Ethernet modem to to test it?

@davidep some errors in my server :
Task completed with errors
S70network-start #8 (exit status 256)

Could you paste relevant lines from /var/log/messages?