How to begin NethServer Active Directory logins from Fedora25 Client OS

System version
NethServer release 7.3.1611 (Final)
Kernel release
3.10.0-514.10.2.el7.x86_64
Module: Account provider: Samba Active Directory

hello!
I just installed Nethserver in my environment! Yay! I;m quite excited to use it, but I wanted to see where maybe I have done configurations incorrectly.

I have a machine running NS, and then another (connected wirelessly) with Fedora 25, mostly a base installation, with a single local user defined in /etc/passwd.

My purpose for installing NS is to have installed the Samba Active Directory Module, so I may have centralized authentication for all my machines and VMs.

I have configured the NS to use a static IP address (x.x.x.10) and create a bridge adapter defined as (x.x.x.11).

I have tried on the Fedora 25 machine the following process to create Domain Logins:

but when I try and login using the AD User account:

Creating home directory for testuser.
su: warning: cannot change directory to /var/lib/nethserver/home/testuser: No such file or directory
-bash-4.3$

Can anyone point me to a solution?

Thanks!
-dave

1 Like

Probably the /etc/sssd/sssd.conf file of your fedora needs some adjustment.

Refer to sssd-ad and sssd.conf manpages.

See how to locally override the home dir path returned by the remote server.

Still seems to be calling to the oddjob file.

Here is the error after adding the override_homedir = /home/%f

org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name com.redhat.oddjob_mkhomedir was not provided by any .service files
su: warning: cannot change directory to /var/lib/nethserver/home/testuser: No such file or directory
-bash-4.3$ exit

here is the content of my sssd.conf:

[sssd]
domains = home.sdrose.com
config_file_version = 2
services = nss, pam

[domain/home.sdrose.com]
ad_domain = home.sdrose.com
krb5_realm = HOME.SDROSE.COM
realmd_tags = manages-system joined-with-adcli
cache_credentials = True
id_provider = ad
krb5_store_password_if_offline = True
default_shell = /bin/bash
ldap_id_mapping = True
use_fully_qualified_names = False
fallback_homedir = /home/%u@%d
access_provider = ad
override_homedir = /home/%f

You can see I have added the override to the bottom of the config file on the local Fedora25 workstation …

-dave

1 Like

Restart sssd? Clear sssd cache? :sweat:

systemctl restart sssd
sss_cache -E

Hello David
First, thank you for replying so quickly on my posting, and thank you for offering suggestions. I’d like to apologize for not knowing to restart sssd. I haven’t yet really ever used it, but I should have realized that it is a service, and as such, needed to be restarted. Also, I didn’t know about invalidating the cache …

However, even with those suggestions, I have the same error messaging …

[root@hp-note01 ~]# man sss_cache
[root@hp-note01 ~]# sss_cache -E
[root@hp-note01 ~]# systemctl restart sssd
[root@hp-note01 ~]# exit
logout
[drose@hp-note01 ~]$ su - testuser@home.sdrose.com
Password:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name com.redhat.oddjob_mkhomedir was not provided by any .service files
su: warning: cannot change directory to /home/testuser@home.sdrose.com: No such file or directory
-bash-4.3$

And, I have tried with alternating which command is first, the cache invalidation and restarting the service.

May I ask … are you using either a RedHat or Fedora system and this auto-creation of home directories is working for you? Looking around the internet, I see oddjob-mkhomedir to be a problem since sometime in 2014 …

I appreciate you sharing your experience, as well as anyone else who may post suggestions …

Thank you!
-dave

1 Like

I see an improvement here!

Please, substitute in sssd.conf the override value:

/home/%f

With

/home/%u

Then restart and clean sssd as above

You can create the directory manually

mkdir /home/testuser
chmod 700 /home/testuser