Generic questions about NethServer

Good presentation :wink:

In fact yes, I have a couple of question:

1. If I didn’t hear wrong, NethServer can be installed on top of any CentOS system - and I would be inclined to think that on top any RHEL systems as well; am I right?
  2. The license actually permits commercial use, is this true? I’m curious about this because at work I manage an internal development server for my team, that I believe it would be interesting to plug NS on top of it so the rest of the team can handle basic tasks while I’m not around - part of the team lives in a different time zone;
  3. [Okay, three questions ;)] [OT] I believe I asked about this in the IRC, not sure though: do you folks have any schedule/roadmap for upgrading base system to CentOS 7? I will gladly lend a hand on any task I could be of any help, just let me know.

Cheers.

1 Like

1 maybe, never tried. But I don’think that could be useful
2 of course you can, license is GPLv3
3 not yet, and still there aren’t features that we miss on 7

2 Likes

At this moment I’m head down on 6.6. I’m working on a feature about disaster recovery scenarios: Feature #3041: Restore from backup, disaster recovery and network interfaces - NethServer 6 - NethServer.org

The upgrade of the base system to 7 will not probably introduce any new feature on the NethServer packages.

What key feature in 7 you consider as “must-have” and is missing in the 6 branch?

Php version maybe :stuck_out_tongue:

We’ll have new php on 6.6 using SCL. We need 5.4 version for Owncloud 8, so we MuSt have it :wink:

What PHP version is that?? :smile:

Ahahah edited my previous post :wink:

I suppose that you will use php scl or you will upgrade the php ???

SCL seems the right choice for me: it’s still from Upstream and is known to work with the current Server Manager. It’s an opt-in, and as such one can avoid to install in case it would break other components.

1 Like

I agree, I have done a rpm to allow scl php either for each Ibay or for the whole server with php-mod…unfortunately for sme :wink:

It is the official redhat way to upgrade software version now

2 Likes

[quote=“davidep, post:3, topic:61”]
At this moment I’m head down on 6.6. I’m working on a feature about disaster recovery scenarios: http://dev.nethserver.org/issues/3041[/quote]

Interesting. You might consider to give a VCS a try as well: I recently switched to Git for keeping my ~ and /etc settings safe and couldn’t be any happier. For ~ I use a combination of Git + GNU Stow, for /etc I just use etckeeper; both repositories synchronize to private repositories online, this way I can manage different branches for different systems - at work I’m forced to use Ubuntu 12.04 ¬¬

[quote=“davidep, post:3, topic:61”]
The upgrade of the base system to 7 will not probably introduce any new feature on the NethServer packages.
What key feature in 7 you consider as “must-have” and is missing in the 6 branch? [/quote]

Well, TBH I believe that at some point the move have to be done, right? IMO if there aren’t pressing matters worth of attention the sooner the move is done, the better.
At work I administer several CentOS/RHEL 6 systems but for new operations I’m pushing to adopt the new release - in fact whenever I’m given the chance I go with 7 without a second thought; CentOS 7 brings some new interesting goodies not to mention a complete refresh to its package base.

Thanks for asking!

Think about this scenario: you already have a CentOS/RHEL installed and one day you decide (or have the need) to let someone else manage the server or some of its resources, someone that isn’t specially technical and that would be completely lost without a GUI. It would be absolutely handy to being able to just add a repository, do a ‘yum -y install nethserver’, diff some configs, setup the rest and you’re done :v:

I’m thinking of it as a compatibility layer you can place on top of a running ‘vanilla’ (if you like) system. However I’m not familiarized with NS’ internals so I can’t say how difficult it could be to implement something like this.

In any case if you believe this can be an useful feature (it does to me) I would be thrilled to help you out.

Right now you can’t: NS read config from a database and generates configuration files using templates and db data. Old config files would be overwritten.
To migrate an already configured system, NS should populate config db before, maybe reading configuration files. I think that it would be pretty hard to write code that do this.
About using RHEL instead of CentOS, if you have opportunity to give it a try let us know (not in production please :smile:)