Domain name is public

My nethservers domain name is mechdesign.it. And our webregister mail address is ****@mechdesign.it. When I configure mails using outlook 2007, mails cannot find mechdesign.it webmail service.

How to configure this server to check emails of @mechdesign.it web mails (webregister.it) mails.

I installed Mail base option. Not all aptions like nethserver roundcube, lha, and others are not installed in the nethserver. only Email option.

You want to receive e-mails for the domain mechdesign.it on your Nethserver mailserver?
All you have to do is 1) install mail-packages (you did that already you said), 2) forward MX records for your domain to your Nethserver IP address and 3) forward appropriate ports on your firewall to allow mail to arrive on your Nethserver.

Is that what you want?

1 Like

i will do this. May this be my solution.

but I cannot understand how to do number 2.

And one more thing. - We have www.mechdesing.it site under construction and later we have to access to that site also.

thanks

Step 2 you have to register in your DNS settings where you have registered your domain name.

MX records have nothing to do with your website. You website is directed through A-record or CNAME in your DNS settings.

What is the place this infomation get from and what is the place this information put to?

You’ve registered your domain name somewhere (some website of registar) for about $10/year I guess. That’s the place where you change the domainsettings. It’s the place where you can point your website address to another webhosting-server or change you MX records.

MX records are nothing more than telling ‘every computer’ that when sending an email to yourdomain.it, the email should go to your Nethserver IP address and not to Google or Hotmail or whatever-other-mailserver.

Extra:
Note that when enabling a mailserver there is more to read about and set. For example setting the right SPF records (in registrar DNS settings) and maybe even email your internetprovider about setting the PTR records right for your Nethserver IP address. I will not go into detail about this, please read about it online and find out what to do.
(there are some online mailserver testing tools to test your own Nethserver setup when you (think you) are done :wink: )

Good luck!

I think we have to do more things to get done with this. Ok until I finish my accounting software management, is it possible to configure outlook 2007 to bypass local domain resolution method? then we can outlook to configure to check mails from webmail.register.it instead of local domain (mechdesign.it)

On the domain tools/records of your hosting provider, you’ll need to provide an MX record which points to your network’s public IP address. Some providers may be willing to help you for free and some may not (but will be willing for an extra fee), depending on your service provider.

On your gateway router or firewall, you may need to open up ports to accept the mails (guys help us here, not really sure but your inputs are well needed) which I think “may be” the SMTP ports 25, 465 or 587 whichever you will be using.

I’m not sure about the setup but if you configured NethServer to be your internal DNS, you should input the proper entries in it so that the outside resources like “www” will be reacheable from inside your network. Just copy the entries of DNS of your domain in your registrar/service provider.

I’m also not sure about the best practices to lock down your server, our other pals here might be able to help you out.

Good luck on your endeavor in setting up your email. Do not forget to update us of any progress you’ve made.

1 Like

I dont really know how it works with Nethserver for mail, will it setup all other things for you when installed. But like the other members say… First thing first… Get your ISP to point MX records to your public IP (the IP that is on the NIC that goes out), using Postfix you need to do some settings in your master.cf and main.cf In your main.cf is where you would configure your Network, Hostname, Relay, mailbox, etc and master.cf your smtp. If Nethserver does most of that you good to go, if not take a look at those files.

1 Like

Ok I got it as a huge task for me according to my knowledge.

I have a suggestion. What if i uninstall Email addon and is it possible to configure RESOLV.CONF to resolve only dns address which are not found in locally, resolve from google dns servers eg (8.8.4.4)

Is this a good solution to this or bad?

I think its a bad idea, I was advised against manually editing somethings. I will quote myself and the advise @davidep told me a while back in thread Messages seems not not reach the recipient’s mailbox:

We may have a different setup, but I think the advise is clear on not changing anything manually.

The best thing to do is to have it working locally first then have the other configurations work like domain records.

1 Like

Ok mr. Vhinz. I won’t do manual editing

1 Like

I can’t resolv mechdesing.it is this a valid public domain, or its just an
internal one you’re using.?

how are your client machines resolving mechdesing.it ?

The server no longer exists. Hardware failure. thats why we use webregister.it

dig -t MX webregister.it

; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.30.rc1.el6_6.3 <<>> -t MX webregister.it
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 39709
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;webregister.it.                        IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
webregister.it.         43200   IN      MX      5 mail.webeconomy.it.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
webregister.it.         43163   IN      NS      ns.webeconomy.it.
webregister.it.         43163   IN      NS      ns1.webeconomy.it.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns.webeconomy.it.       10      IN      A       148.251.133.152
mail.webeconomy.it.     10      IN      A       148.251.133.152

Hi atem, what are these settings? Is it for mail configuration settings?

May be we need it later.

In my opinion, before configuring a mailserver you have to study how email works, specifically MX record

Hi Nirosh.

Artem just showed you the reply he got when he asked a nameserver about the domain you specified.

Nameservers are the servers that keep the records about the hosts and the domains and what Ip’s are assigned to them.

Think of them as a phone book agenda.

For each domain (entity) you can have multiple records. Like Alias (this says that this server is also responding for www.domain.com not only for host.domain.com)

MX record means that for that domain there is a specific host (or machine) that will handle mails and it has priority 10.
This is usually the default. You can have multiple machines with multiple priorities if you for example have fail-over.

I think that Alessio has some point.
You must pick up on some light reading about DNS and MX records. and about Nameservers and Mailservers.
Just look on the internet about those topics.

Trust me, just a 30 minute reading and you have a better understanding about this.

Nothing heavy just the light stuf “how DNS works…”

Best regards
Bogdan

3 Likes

Thank you all of you to consider of my future plan. We slowly get into this topic. until it, this information is very important to me.