Disk Management feature request

see https://www.openhub.net/p/nethserver you will have your answer

1 Like

More than 93.000 at this date.
Thank you…

Everybody who isn’t a turtle…
Even me who produce lot of lines to push this idea :grin:

2 Likes

Development of this feature could be a bounty.

4 Likes

I agree :slight_smile: This can be a very good test run of the bounty system.
We can span the bounties to two or three very desired features. and see.

2 Likes

and add this also for future feature :wink:

Thanks man, I see there is already a request here. Thanks for reminding it to us

Today ( 14/03/2016 ) , in Distrowatch, there’s a ClearOS update to announce the support of LVM Cache, that is a great feature.

LVM Cache, is with a name lot of few sexy, the same thing as the Apple Fusion Drive technology:

Can we have such cool feature in our webgui? :grin:

1 Like

Hi @Jim, This is possible for us too, but with ZFS and ARC technology.
Read here: http://open-zfs.org/wiki/Performance_tuning (the principle is the same)
As long as the distribution knows about ZFS, then you can use ARC.

This should be I think, in the installation setup part of NS. After that part is done you do not need a UI too much to tweak the fs. parameters. You will not do to much to tweak the file system anyway because you can break it,
A UI is needed only to Add / Remove / mount and scrub pools, and manage snapshots. But only after you have set up the base system.

1 Like

LVM cache has been introduced in RHEL 7.1 and improved in 7.2.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/7.2_Release_Notes/storage.html

To use LVM cache in NethServer 7a2 you need to choose the standard centos installation at boot and create an lvm cache volume to install the system.

I have to disagree with part of this discussion. Disk management is one of the most important parts to running even the simplest server.

2 Likes

Ehi @SkintArtist welcome here,
I agree it’s an important part but not easy to be implemented and to make it simple.

Nobody said that it will be easy…:grinning:

But this feature is a must have… When You look that there’s NAS project that have Squid Proxy (http://www.mynas.com.au/mynas-features/ ).
There’s other project like OpenMediaVault that have a Firewall management feature…( without GUI forProxy, install Squid is possible ).
It will not take a long time before have in the place a NAS with a full Firewall Features…

True. The best I have used is the disk utility in Ubuntu. It looks nice but its hard to find a few things. I do think it does a good job at keeping the user from breaking things and with a few tweaks I think it could be great for some one new to Linux.

You would think that would be the case but it seems that most in the server community are against it. When I have talked to professionals about it they tell me that firewall / networking and file storage should be done on different hardware due to security and storage failure reasons.

Yes, the right thing to do is separate the firewall from other servers…
But:

• Nethserver is an all in one, so, why tolerate a firewall with an AD Server with shared folders… And not tolerate a firewall with NAS features!!! It’s absurd.
2 Likes

I agree!! As long as you have a good backup system an “All in one” solution is the way to go. If the firewall / routing is “jailed” or kept separated virtually or something (this part is a little beyond my expertise) than I don’t see how it could be a risk.

I also think that we have a great opportunity here, working with Linux, to accomplish any and everything we need with or without a GUI. I think in the mean time it would be great to see some well thought out and explained command line tutorials on how to achieve the same needs that we are asking to be added. Now I am not near skilled enough to fill that need but I am sure others in this community could rise to the occasion.

I agree, it would be great to see a well thought out tutorial on this! @dnutan what do you think?
@stephdl @Ctek how can we start preparing such doc?

2 Likes

@SkintArtist, thanks for sharing your valuable thoughts (here and in other threads). Really appreciate it.

@alefattorini, some of the commands are common to other distributions and information is available with an Internet search, even thought, having it documented in one place will be less error prone and easier for users.

Commands that allow you to configure the same things as the user interface does (config setprop …) could be added to existing wiki guides. I had already though about that, but I’m not skilled enough to do it myself.

For other tasks still not covered by the wiki, we can create a FAQ, a Troubleshooting section, or extend the useful commands guides.

A troubleshooting section can also be part of each specific guide.

Also, some of those guides could be first a blog post that help spread the word. @stephdl has experience on that. :wink:

Think @enzoturri and @Jim can be of help also.

Some thinks to cover:

• recover access to NethUI
  • rebuild RAID
  • LVM (snapshots…)
  • etc.
5 Likes

Hi,

I would like to reborn this thread…

I was looking Distrowatch, and seeing that Nethserver isn’t in the top 100 anymore… but another project, Rockstor, younger than the nethserver project is.

I’m still thinking that the NAS feature could be a big step for Nethserver, for all little structures ( smaller than 10 computers ). That need a gateway and a share storage, without LDAP.

What do you think about this?

I agree with that. Especially I think that it must be easy to manage via GUI because that is mostly the advantage of specialized solutions. Mostly small environments don’t have IT-Experts that can use CLIs etc. with knowing what they do. It is just because they are the chosen one in that company with the most IT knowleged - and that doesn’t need to be very large.